Starmer's New Nick-Name

Started by Diasi, September 19, 2024, 11:57:55 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

Cummigs was initially a god then later sacked who organised a revenge killing of Johnson's career. I think it likely that the Labour mole either has an ideological problem with Starmer or simply hopes to slide into his job as he crashes and burns. My money would be on Rayner. If looks could kill he'd be dead already many times over.

Alex

Is Rayner clever enough to bring about Starmer's downfall ?  just asking  :smiley:

GrannyMac

I doubt it, but there may be others waiting in the wings. No one springs to mind, no personalities have emerged so far.  
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Ashy

I have often said that Keir Starmer speaks like a man trying to cover something up. I think it's on the verge of coming out now, like a symphony in A flat. And may I say I hope it's not A flat minor.

dextrous63

A flat minor....a Welshman fallen down a coal pit??😬😬

klondike

Quote from: Alex on September 28, 2024, 12:39:05 AMIs Rayner clever enough to bring about Starmer's downfall ?  just asking  :smiley:
I doubt it but I suspect she is controllable and knows where the skeletons are buried so could easily be being used but it doesn't take a huge degree of skill to dish the dirt anyway.

September 28, 2024, 08:07:00 AM
Quote from: GrannyMac on September 28, 2024, 06:56:35 AMI doubt it, but there may be others waiting in the wings. No one springs to mind, no personalities have emerged so far. 
Certainly. Don't forget that although Obamah is the prime suspect we don't know for sure just who is pulling Bidens strings (or changing his diapers).

Ashy

Quote from: Alex on September 28, 2024, 12:39:05 AMIs Rayner clever enough to bring about Starmer's downfall ?  just asking  :smiley:
Margaret Becket didn't become leader after John Smith died, just saying. However, the millowner's son will be given three options (it will boil down to) by his advisers.

1. Do nothing and carry on as if everything is fine;
2. Make a statement and at least try to carry on acknowledging that something excusable has occurred; (to be followed by revelations of how nice a person he is, and maybe do something popular for the public, and be seen wearing a cloth cap and keeping ferrets*;)
3. Resign and either bring the house down with you or go quietly.

Dissolving Parliament won't be an option in my opinion.

*We've already had the playful kitten story.

klondike

Is the mainstream media coming up with ever more revelations of personal gifts for several of them or is that only appearing in the subversive areas of the internet that I frequent?

Youtube seems to be full of revelations but once you've watched one on there the algorithms just keep offering more of the same. I don't do twitter but are Starmer revelations trending?

September 28, 2024, 08:47:55 AM
Quote from: Ashy on September 28, 2024, 08:35:10 AMDissolving Parliament won't be an option in my opinion.
No chance of that unless he pulls down the house because of internal pressures while he still has the power and I really can't see that. As it is Labour should get back in but if he did that then all bets would be off. Bit like Putin deciding to nuke Washington.

Ashy

Personally I think it'll be "It was all declared, I have done nothing wrong, and these are my ferrets, eeh by gum missus" probably with a pigeon sitting on his cloth cap.

dextrous63

Do they have to declare donations as income and thus pay tax on it?

Cassandra

Quote from: dextrous63 on September 28, 2024, 09:22:19 AMDo they have to declare donations as income and thus pay tax on it?

In short yes. Hence Rayner only valuing her stay at Ali Baba's Penthouse at £1,250 for the week. Going rate is  say £5,000. So she should cough up 5,000 x 40% = £2,000 to pay. At her 'self evaluated rate' - £1250 x 40% = £500. Result Rayner trousers £1,500 worth of benefit - Alez oop!

My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Ashy

As far as I know, actual gifts are not taxed. This is what Brave AI summary said:
Politicians' Gift Tax Liability
Based on the provided search results, here is a concise and accurate answer: Politicians in the UK are currently exempt from paying income tax and National Insurance Contributions on gifts they receive, despite these gifts often being related to their job. However, there is a growing call for standardization of the tax law around gifts received by politicians, with top accountancy firm Blick Rothenberg urging HMRC to make them pay tax on gifts, just like individuals in other sectors who receive gifts as part of their profession.
In general, individuals in the UK can give gifts tax-free, as long as they can afford the payments after meeting their usual living costs. There is no limit to the amount that can be given tax-free, as long as the giver can demonstrate they can afford the payments. However, if gifts are part of a trust or exceed £325,000 in the 7 years before death, Inheritance Tax may apply.
It's worth noting that gifts to political parties are exempt from tax, as long as certain conditions are met. Additionally, charitable donations and gifts to institutions such as art galleries, museums, and heritage funds are also exempt from gift tax.
In summary, while politicians in the UK are currently exempt from paying tax on gifts, there is a growing debate and call for change, and individuals in general can give gifts tax-free as long as they can afford the payments and meet certain conditions.

ansu

If it's correct what I read in our papers efforts are on the way to change this. So, let's wait and see - the UK is very keen on sticking on its traditions - true???

klondike

I think the major concern is what does the donor expect to receive in return. Such personal gifts should be banned and limited to party donations. Of course that requires politicians to change the rules and maybe the law so don't hold your breath. Holding your noses is permissible and expected.

Ashy

Indeed, what do labour party donors want to get. They said one particular donor who has been in the news recently gave because he wanted to return a labour government, even though his donations were made after the election. So did he want to see the winter fuel element of the state pension withdrawn, non-doms driven out of the country, increases in school and university fees, massive inflation and devaluation, or what?