Starmer's New Nick-Name

Started by Diasi, September 19, 2024, 11:57:55 AM

« previous - next »

Diasi

We've already got two-tier Keir & now we have free-gear Keir.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

JBR

I'm sure he has several other nicknames.
Sir Kneel
The Toolmaker's Son
among others.
Numquam credere Gallicum

Cassandra

I have it he was known in the 'game' by lots of names, 'The Door stop', for example.

One, 'The Book-keeper' seems to fit as a past perception, but in light of his recent activities may come to really haunt him along the road to perdition; lined with thousands of dead pensioner's ghosts, carrying a big pile of  discarded suits, dresses and spectacles.

Turning out to be a 'real bummer' as they say over here ...
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

dextrous63

Road to Perdition was a good film.

"Bummer" was the name of our lower school discipline master, who used to give our botties a slap or with his trusty slipper.  Oh happy days.

Scrumpy

We still say 'What a bummer' when things go wrong..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Cassandra

Quote from: dextrous63 on September 19, 2024, 05:01:51 PMRoad to Perdition was a good film.

"Bummer" was the name of our lower school discipline master, who used to give our botties a slap or with his trusty slipper.  Oh happy days.

He sounds as if he could get Jolly 'Batey' at times. We had one known as Willie who got nicked for indecent exposure to some of the lower fourth in his seedy old caravan. Hell of a to do, but it all got well hidden up, as if he'd never existed. Rather different to the French master 'Walters' who was a 'verge line' psychopath with his nasty 18" black ebony ruler. He once caned my hands so hard that I could not hold a cricket bat 3 days later when I was expected to open for the School against Tonbridge! When the headmaster (a good man) saw them, he said very quietly, "who did this to you". I answered honestly and 'Walters' never appeared the following term. My offence failing to 'conjugate French verbs with over 70% success).

JBR

Quote from: Cassandra on September 19, 2024, 08:42:36 PMHe sounds as if he could get Jolly 'Batey' at times. We had one known as Willie who got nicked for indecent exposure to some of the lower fourth in his seedy old caravan. Hell of a to do, but it all got well hidden up, as if he'd never existed. Rather different to the French master 'Walters' who was a 'verge line' psychopath with his nasty 18" black ebony ruler. He once caned my hands so hard that I could not hold a cricket bat 3 days later when I was expected to open for the School against Tonbridge! When the headmaster (a good man) saw them, he said very quietly, "who did this to you". I answered honestly and 'Walters' never appeared the following term. My offence failing to 'conjugate French verbs with over 70% success).
Good.  As it should be.

At my grammar school (Grange Boys') there were masters who could control a class without even mentioning a cane, and others who when riled were happy to lay it on yet who were still not fully able to control a class.
It is all a matter of personality.

One of my favourites (of the former type) was the German master, Mr Tordoff.  For some reason, I managed to learn (and remember) a good deal more German than French.
Numquam credere Gallicum

GrannyMac

There were some teachers who should never have been allowed near children!  No sexual stuff at my very ordinary primary, but a bitter old woman who wielded the tawse (two tongued leather strap) that we called the belt, with some force. Often just because she could.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Scrumpy

We had one of them at our school.. She was always looking over the the top of her glasses in a stern manner.. Woe betide anyone who was in her vision..
Even the boys were wary of her..  We didn't have mixed classes..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Cassandra

Quote from: JBR on September 19, 2024, 08:55:12 PMGood.  As it should be.

At my grammar school (Grange Boys') there were masters who could control a class without even mentioning a cane, and others who when riled were happy to lay it on yet who were still not fully able to control a class.
It is all a matter of personality.

One of my favourites (of the former type) was the German master, Mr Tordoff.  For some reason, I managed to learn (and remember) a good deal more German than French.

Yes how true. I was a rebel and still hold the school's all time  'black mark' record ~ they were gained for one offence ~ pushing drawing pins into the heads of the the piano's 'hammers', used to play Hymns at the morning assembly. I got one for every hammer penetrated. All things bright and beautiful never sounded the same again somehow. I was heading for the chop, when my new term (5th to lower sixth) Housemaster 'Smithy' took me under his wing and still remains to this day number one, of the best men I've ever met. Quite simply 'he made me want to do, what he wanted me to do' - motivation and never raised a hand to me. After his death over 150 old boys turned up for a memorial service, not a dry eye anywhere in the stalls that day. I enjoyed my time with him as I was qualifying and used to take him out a couple of times a year for a very enjoyable dinner, almost to the end of his days. His wisdom and empathy has stayed with me ever since those far off days.

klondike

All the pretty boys were in the head of first year's class at my grammar school. Luckily for me I wasn't pretty enough. These days he'd be in trouble.

The head was  the only one with a cane and got the nickname Stinger although I don't think many got whacked. He committed suicide while I was in second year. I don't think this was cause and effect.

JBR

Quote from: Cassandra on Yesterday at 08:19:10 AMYes how true. I was a rebel and still hold the school's all time  'black mark' record ~ they were gained for one offence ~ pushing drawing pins into the heads of the the piano's 'hammers', used to play Hymns at the morning assembly. I got one for every hammer penetrated. All things bright and beautiful never sounded the same again somehow. 
Brilliant!
I wish I had thought of that.  I can imagine the 'musical' effect if only the occasional hammer was so treated.
How did they know that you were the culprit?  Presumably, you were 'witnessed'.
Numquam credere Gallicum

dextrous63

Here's some info about the choirmaster and music teacher from my own school days.  First met him when at prep school, and he then got a job at my secondary school.

He was a weird fella, but talented.  He'd somehow procured a church organ from somewhere, dismantled it and rebuilt it in our upper school's assemble hall.

Seems he liked other types of organ as well😳

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on Yesterday at 11:30:41 AMHere's some info about the choirmaster and music teacher from my own school days.  First met him when at prep school, and he then got a job at my secondary school.

He was a weird fella, but talented.  He'd somehow procured a church organ from somewhere, dismantled it and rebuilt it in our upper school's assemble hall.

Seems he liked other types of organ as well😳

It goes without saying that such people should be identified, guilt proven, and then punished accordingly.
It seems that many of them continue to pursue their probably illegal proclivities avoiding any consequences.
I wonder how Sir Kneel feels about such people.
Numquam credere Gallicum

dextrous63

Oddly enough, I read elsewhere that he'd also become a bit of an expert about the Titanic and went round giving talks and lectures about it.

He was a very strange man, and even in my time there there were whispers about him.