Cap Attached Plastic Bottles

Started by Alex, July 21, 2024, 04:31:42 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

APPARENTLY the EU has decided that 'plastic caps must remain attached after opening on all single use plastic beverage containers of up to three litres, from July 2024 onwards'

As I take a swig from my water bottle it's a little awkward not to get the attached cap up my nose, or poking my eye out but I guess we'll get used to it.

klondike

Nail clippers

I wonder how long it will be before they specify the precise size of perforations on bog paper.

dextrous63

I was led to believe that although the bottles could be recycled, the caps can't, due to being a different plastic.

klondike

Yes I think that's so but I expect they already get lots with caps on already so they'll have a mechanism to seperate them. Probably child slave labour.

GrannyMac

I don't like them, they get in the way when pouring. 🤨
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Michael Rolls

another stupid, pointless 'make work' for bureaucrats
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

dextrous63

Surely these caps require a bit more plastic in their production?

Silver Tabby

I never buy anything in pastic bottles anyway, so was not aware of this.

klondike

Quote from: Michael Rolls on July 22, 2024, 06:03:14 AManother stupid, pointless 'make work' for bureaucrats
I assume the hope is that it will reduce plastic waste. I doubt it will make any significant difference to that so maybe there is some other reason.

dextrous63

Well, they've gotta justify their salaries somehow.

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

Quote from: dextrous63 on July 22, 2024, 10:05:59 AMWell, they've gotta justify their salaries somehow.
Sadly it seems that they don't have to.

dextrous63

klondike

Plus of course we get the "benefit" of their BS without paying directly now.

Diasi

There are lots of plastic bottles that have the 'cap attached' recycling message.

I image it's a combination of people either putting the caps in landfill or recycling them separately & clogging up the recycling machinery which doesn't cope too well with small parts.

That's why shredded paper can't be put in our cardboard / paper bin.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]