Cap Attached Plastic Bottles

Started by Alex, July 21, 2024, 04:31:42 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

I failed my O level in identifying which bits can and can't be recycled. I suspect many others did too. Solution is get some clever fellow to design a machine to sort it. I saw one, presumably on YouTube, that shreds the bottles and caps and blasts the coloured bits off the main conveyor with an air jet.

Meanwhile I think plenty of ours just gets shipped to the third world and dumped. Cheaper than building recycling plants with clever machines.

dextrous63

Here's an idea then...make the tops out of metal which can therefore be identified and processed accordingly. 

Ashy

I heard that bottle tops can't be recycled, so I bin them separately. 

dextrous63

Quote from: Ashy on July 22, 2024, 05:58:55 PMI heard that bottle tops can't be recycled, so I bin them separately.
Which makes one wonder why they've made it so bleeding hard to remove them.  Add in the further little beauty that I'd imagine that more people will screw the lids back on before chucking them, thus making it harder to compress into a smaller volume.  Which will mean more plastic bin bags, more bottles floating in waterways etc.

All so very well thought out by someone who needs to get out of the office a tad more and find something useful to do.

klondike

When all we got for recycling was a smallish box I crushed them down and screwed the cap on so they'd fit in. Up to them to sort it after that.

Michael Rolls

I always shred confidential papers before binning them - nothing in the council blurb to say that one shouldn't - Perth & Kinross - although Mary, my s-i-l says her council, Hereford, forbids it.
Come to think of it - in such circumstances, how is one supposed to dispose of confidential papers? Burn them and add to the pollution?
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

We are told to put shredded paper in a bag. I put that bag in the recycling bin and it doubtless splits in the truck. I too shred stuff that links my name to anything but the address which I allow on the electoral roll anyway.

dextrous63

Soaking paper in a bucket of water would make it easy to mulch up I'd imagine and render it illegible.  Not sure if a touch of bleach or something might remove ink🤷🏻�♂️. 

klondike

I'll stick to shredding. Takes seconds with no mess.

Alex

Quote from: dextrous63 on July 23, 2024, 08:55:49 AMSoaking paper in a bucket of water would make it easy to mulch up I'd imagine and render it illegible.  Not sure if a touch of bleach or something might remove ink🤷🏻�♂️.

I do that, tear off the name and address first, then leave to soak in a spot of Fairy Liquid. :cool:

Michael Rolls

Quote from: klondike on July 23, 2024, 09:05:34 AMI'll stick to shredding. Takes seconds with no mess.
same here

July 23, 2024, 12:10:27 PM
Quote from: Alex on July 23, 2024, 10:21:56 AMI do that, tear off the name and address first, then leave to soak in a spot of Fairy Liquid. :cool:
so what do you do with the name and address bits?
[email protected]

Alex

Quote from: Michael Rolls on July 23, 2024, 12:09:42 PMsame here

July 23, 2024, 12:10:27 PMso what do you do with the name and address bits?

Well because they're no longer attached to the letters/statements, I screw them up and put them in the bin.

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

dextrous63

I'm going to start using private documents to make a papier-mâché piggy bank.  I remember how to do this from watching Blue Peter around half a century ago.

After this trial run, I think I'll start a long term project of building a papier-mâché scale model of HMS Temeraire.

Diasi

I cross-shred anything that identifies me & it goes into the landfill bin.

Also all paper & cardboard has to be dry as wet can clog up the machinery too. 

Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]