Pager explosions💥

Started by Alex, September 17, 2024, 03:33:49 PM

« previous - next »

JBR

Quote from: ansu on September 22, 2024, 10:17:02 AMWhen I was young the Lebanon was one of the richest countries in the Near East. However, in the meantime times and conditions have changed. As to Israel, as far as I know the English and French "created" this state much to the chagrin of the Palestinians who lived there. Someone once told me that the emnity between the Palestinians and the Israelites has its roots in the Bible - I don't know whether this is correct or not. When I was in Israel in 2011 the guide told us that the only solution would be two  independent countries.
Actually, there are now four independent countries in the area: Israel, Lebanon, Syria and Jordan, seven if you include Egypt, Iraq and Saudi Arabia.  All but one are majority muslim states.

I think the guide must be a little naive with his opinion: if you divided Israel into two separate states (the other one muslim of course), what chance would the Israelis have in hoping to live peacefully?  Actually, I think they tried that when the West Bank was not under their control.  Look at the old maps of the original Israel as created in 1946: a narrow piece of land which could be easily attacked and occupied from the east.
Numquam credere Gallicum

Vlad

Quote from: JBR on September 21, 2024, 02:26:45 PMPresumably they support them, just as so many other muslim countries do.
Israel is surrounded by enemies, some more anti-Jew than others.  Fortunately, some like Egypt and Jordan seem to be less-arrogant but nevertheless the Israelis must remain very vigilant.
It's a shame that Israel, being created as the Jews' homeland, was in that particular position in the world.  But, of course, that land was their ancient homeland.
According to their god 😁
"I am in awe of myself. I never know what I will write next."

JBR

Quote from: Vlad on September 22, 2024, 02:24:47 PMAccording to their god 😁
Well, actually although there has never been a time when Jews ruled all of the present-day area of Israel, they have lived there under various ruling powers since the Iron Age.  To me, that would suggest that if they ever had a 'homeland' that was where it has been ever since.

Of course the area has been ruled under the Roman Empire and then the Ottoman Empire, it has always been the home of Jewish people for as long as its history is known.

Of course, the Jews have been oppressed throughout history and many have found safety all over the known world throughout the times in question.  Hence the 'wandering Jews'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Judah#/media/File:Edward_Weller,_The_Kingdoms_of_Judah_and_Israel_(FL36012236_3897579).jpg

Psalm 114: 
When Israel came out of Egypt and the House of Jacob from among a strange people
Judah was his sanctuary and Israel his dominion
The sea saw that and fled, Jordan was driven back
The mountains skipped like rams and the little hills like young sheep.
Numquam credere Gallicum

dextrous63

Not entirely sure of the value of quoting from a Judaic book written by those with a vested interest in (possibly) distorting the truth, JB.

Diasi

The problem is that some Jews actually believe all this arrogant 'chosen children of god' biblical bollocks whilst other Jews use it to their advantage.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

dextrous63

I think we have a not dissimilar view towards religions Diasi.  I recall you saying something a fair old while about people not seeming to understand that their omnipotent, omnipresent deity is perfectly capable of doing his own dirty work.  Yep, that's my view too.  

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on September 22, 2024, 09:54:29 PMNot entirely sure of the value of quoting from a Judaic book written by those with a vested interest in (possibly) distorting the truth, JB.
The book in question is read by Christians all over the world.
Some, such as yourself, deny the possibility that Jews, who have been around before Christianity was even 'invented', were once held against their will in Egypt and managed to escape across the desert to what they now regard as their homeland.

Perhaps the anti-Jewish people among us should try to disprove this supposed historic event and hence the lack of any right of the Jews to have a homeland in an area in which they have lived for millennia.
Numquam credere Gallicum

klondike

I'm assuming the Jews were given a home to call their own by the allies post WW2 partly in compensation for the holocaust. I won't suggest another possible reason that occurred to me. Regardless of any historic homeland it seems to have been rather a mistake to put them slap bang in the middle of the place on earth probably most hostile to them. Why not a chunk of Germany or somewhere else in Europe? Or just about anywhere else in the world.

Raven

Quote from: klondike on September 23, 2024, 11:18:35 AMI'm assuming the Jews were given a home to call their own by the allies post WW2 partly in compensation for the holocaust. I won't suggest another possible reason that occurred to me. Regardless of any historic homeland it seems to have been rather a mistake to put them slap bang in the middle of the place on earth probably most hostile to them. Why not a chunk of Germany or somewhere else in Europe? Or just about anywhere else in the world.

I wondered that too, BUT the UK government of the day was involved........Nuff Said.

JBR

The truth is that they were given a permanent homeland in an area of the world in which they have lived for hundreds, if not thousands, of years.

It may be argued that they should have been given a homeland elsewhere, but what has been done is what we (or they) now have.  I will always support their right to defend themselves against that religion which is determined to destroy them.

Bearing in mind the intentions of their enemies, I shall always support the Jews against the muslims.
Numquam credere Gallicum

klondike

Pre holocaust there were probably more living in Europe than the middle east.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on September 23, 2024, 01:00:29 PMPre holocaust there were probably more living in Europe than the middle east.
Yes, the Nazis were condemned for their wholesale murder of Jews.
I wonder who will receive similar condemnation next time.
Numquam credere Gallicum

dextrous63

Quote from: JBR on September 23, 2024, 11:04:34 AMThe book in question is read by Christians all over the world.
Some, such as yourself, deny the possibility that Jews, who have been around before Christianity was even 'invented', were once held against their will in Egypt and managed to escape across the desert to what they now regard as their homeland.

Eh?  Where have I said that?🤷🏻�♂️

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on September 23, 2024, 08:56:50 PMEh?  Where have I said that?🤷🏻�♂️
Yesterday:
"Not entirely sure of the value of quoting from a Judaic book written by those with a vested interest in (possibly) distorting the truth, JB."
Numquam credere Gallicum

dextrous63

Quote from: JBR on September 23, 2024, 09:01:14 PMYesterday:
"Not entirely sure of the value of quoting from a Judaic book written by those with a vested interest in (possibly) distorting the truth, JB."
"Possibly" is a key word there.  The book also states that some fella came down a hill with some commandments written out on stone by god, and the fella also parted the Red Sea.  Amongst other equally as ludicrous claims.

Just how much of that book should one take seriously as an accurate account?

However, my understanding is that there is historic evidence that the Jews have been living within the lands of Israel for a very long time and have a good a claim (and in many ways a stronger one) to call the place their homeland.