Bloody metric..

Started by Scrumpy, September 13, 2024, 08:16:00 AM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

I always get it wrong.. The fool that I am.
I have to go to the paint shop today to get some more paint.. The tins I ordered from Amazon are far too small.. 
250ml.. I ordered two...  That won't be enough.. the cans are so small..

Bring back the old system.. Good job I can laugh about it..

Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Mups

Quote from: Scrumpy on September 13, 2024, 08:16:00 AMI always get it wrong.. The fool that I am.
I have to go to the paint shop today to get some more paint.. The tins I ordered from Amazon are far too small..
250ml.. I ordered two...  That won't be enough.. the cans are so small..

Bring back the old system.. Good job I can laugh about it..

I couldn't agree more,  and still constantly complain about bloody metric.   I was hoping that when we left the common market we could become English again.

Without actually seeing something I still can't judge the size of anything metric.
Then when I think I've got a rough idea of Cms, the next person starts talking in Mms instead! 

Even after all these years,  it means absolutely nothing to do me -  and that's before the liquid Mls  amounts start as well!      Grrr . . .

dextrous63

Roughly speaking, a 4" cube is a litre.

klondike

a litre might double coat a wall. 250ml might do a pushbike.

i have sort of learned liquid measures. it's visualising sizes quoted in mm that has me grabbing for a tape measure.

Mups

Quote from: klondike on September 13, 2024, 08:47:14 AMa litre might double coat a wall. 250ml might do a pushbike.

i have sort of learned liquid measures. it's visualising sizes quoted in mm that has me grabbing for a tape measure.

Depends on how many mms the wall is.  :grin:

dextrous63

klondike

true enough. most paints range from 5 to 10 square meter single coat coverage depending on type and surface etc. iirc. i know without having to puzzle about it that 250ml is a pretty small pot of paint though. if i had a room to paint i'd check area and claimed coverage and get more than the calculation suggested. i have a collection of half empty/half full paint cans in the cellar as part of the childrens legacy. they will surely be delighted. more delighted than half painted walls anyway.

dextrous63

Of course, all of this really depends on the opacity of the paint since the thickness of the coating has a clear bearing on the require volume.

klondike

bored today?  :grin:

get some done. you can watch it dry.

dextrous63

I'll be well and truly sedated later.  Best part of the whole thing.  Plus it helps me remain calm while my wife is driving😬😬

Mups

Quote from: dextrous63 on September 13, 2024, 09:12:24 AMI'll be well and truly sedated later.  Best part of the whole thing.  Plus it helps me remain calm while my wife is driving😬😬

I'm gonna tell her wot you said. 

Scrumpy

Quote from: dextrous63 on September 13, 2024, 08:26:43 AMRoughly speaking, a 4" cube is a litre.
Quote from: klondike on September 13, 2024, 08:56:15 AMtrue enough. most paints range from 5 to 10 square meter single coat coverage depending on type and surface etc. iirc. i know without having to puzzle about it that 250ml is a pretty small pot of paint though. if i had a room to paint i'd check area and claimed coverage and get more than the calculation suggested. i have a collection of half empty/half full paint cans in the cellar as part of the childrens legacy. they will surely be delighted. more delighted than half painted walls anyway.
What a load of gobbledygook you men speak. :grin:

klondike

Quote from: Mups on September 13, 2024, 09:17:46 AMI'm gonna tell her wot you said. 
that little pearl zoomed right over my head. thanks for the pointer  :grin:

September 13, 2024, 09:29:14 AM
Quote from: Scrumpy on September 13, 2024, 09:21:04 AMWhat a load of gobbledygook you men speak. :grin:
but we ain't the ones decorating a room with half a litre of paint  :grin:

Scrumpy

dextrous63

Quote from: klondike on September 13, 2024, 09:28:15 AMthat little pearl zoomed right over my head. thanks for the pointer  :grin:

September 13, 2024, 09:29:14 AMbut we ain't the ones decorating a room with half a litre of paint  :grin:
This room in actually in her Barbie dream house