« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

headline on one of the items on the BBC news website

PM to warn: 'Things will get worse'

well, of course they will - Labour are in power
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

dextrous63

I wonder if they've got a bet going as to how bad they can make it.

Who's next to come forth with some hair brained, divisive and damaging policy?

klondike

I don't usually believe Labour or the BBC but I'm prepared to make an exception for that prediction.

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

klondike

Meanwhile another normal day reported elsewhere...

Vlad

Have they ever got better? How many governments have we seen in our lifetimes, has anything changed for the better?
"I am in awe of myself. I never know what I will write next."

Michael Rolls

I have seen 21 governments in my life time (not that I took much notice for my first few years). Obviously, I don't remember the time before WW2 (born 1937) And things definitely improved after Churchill returned to power in 1951, but to be fair to Atlee he had the ashes of WW2 - often quite literally - to clear up, but his was also a government of command and control, the like of which I have a nasty feeling we are about to expectance again.
Thatcher improved the country's lot greatly from the mess she inherited from Callaghan, but I honestly think that things have, overall, declined since the infighting deposed her.
Mike
[email protected]

dextrous63

On the whole, countries tend to unite when there is a common enemy.

The problem as I see it, is that the common enemies this time are literally sailing our way, and we have people in parliament who are aiding and abetting them by complicity.

Tantamount to treason, in my book.

klondike

The way Starmer is going there will soon be a different common enemy...

AnnieS

It's typical Labour spin again.  The news reports of their figures not adding up with a £?xxxx Billions sized hole in their manifesto plans was widespread before the election.  People chose to ignore that.   

It's not that they suddenly discovered a "black hole", it's a fact that they didn't cost their unrealistic promises.  

Now they are blaming the other lot for something that was obvious and publicised.   I don't like the other lot either, but Labour are responsible for the slapdash way they are handling problems of their own making.  

Ashy

Starmer himself claimed the shortfall was 46 billion when he was leader of the opposition, then the Reeves, when chancellor, said it was only 20 billion, They should have been pleased, no?

Actually we haven't come near a budget surplus since Thatcher's time in office.

JBR

Quote from: Michael Rolls on August 25, 2024, 10:51:29 AMThatcher improved the country's lot greatly from the mess she inherited from Callaghan, but I honestly think that things have, overall, declined since the infighting deposed her.

I agree.  She was our best PM in my lifetime.  If only her colleagues hadn't done the dirty on her.
Numquam credere Gallicum

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

JBR

Regarding our new 'leader', I believe that after only a few weeks in power he is already being seen as by far the worst and most despised PM we have ever had, including Bliar.

I can't imagine that he will survive for much longer, not only as PM but also his life!
Numquam credere Gallicum

Raven

The sooner that lot are gone, the better. But who would be next? Would the Tories return? How they would gloat.