Alternatives to Prison

Started by muddy, June 30, 2024, 11:13:54 AM

« previous - next »

muddy

What are the alternatives / solution to our overcrowded prisons ? 

It costs £41k to keep one prisoner in prison .

It's costs much more to send someone for the criminally insane ie Broadmoor .

Yet many prisoners have mental issues .

Should we build more prisons / secure mental homes / or what ? 

klondike

Beyond my pay grade I'm afraid and it seems beyond the skillset of those who are in the paygrade to sort this type of thing out. Just add it to the huge list of things that simply do not work in this country.

dextrous63

Outsource to overseas countries.  Many advantages in doing so.

Raven

If we weren't so soft on them and actually punished them it might make them think before they broke the law. I can't think of anything more humiliating then being put in the stocks and have rotten fruit chucked at you. Everyone would know what you did.
Maybe time simple things came back.

Alex

We need to build more prisons, particularly as we're importing criminals.

dextrous63

For a start, it seems eminently sensible to deport any asylum seeker or immigrant as soon as they have completed their sentence.  Part of the deal of them staying on these shores is that they abide by UK law.  If they choose to break their part of the bargain, then that's their choice and they can live with the consequences.

Michael Rolls

More prisons, harsher sentences, deport any foreigner breaking our laws
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: muddy on June 30, 2024, 11:13:54 AMWhat are the alternatives / solution to our overcrowded prisons ?

It costs £41k to keep one prisoner in prison .

It's costs much more to send someone for the criminally insane ie Broadmoor .

Yet many prisoners have mental issues .

Should we build more prisons / secure mental homes / or what ?
My advice would be to look back to, say, the 1850s.  We had a civilised country which worked well enough to make us the greatest power in the world.
Yes, life was hard for the poor, but crime was controlled and contained simply because most people were effectively deterred from engaging in serious illegal activities.

We have moved on, of course.  Life is much easier now, even for the poor, but one problem exists and that is more people are willing to engage in criminal activities because there is little deterrent against doing so.
The ideal is to continue with the sort of life most of us enjoy today, with all its rights and privileges.  However, we need to deter our criminal element far more than the weak and soppy system we now have.

I'd suggest continuing to improve matters for the law-abiding, but to go back to 'the old ways' for the criminally irresponsible who are a danger to us all.  
Prisons of the standard in Victorian days.  Places of punishment, at least for repeat criminals who have failed to benefit from the persuasions of giving up crime.  The rope for murderers: life for a life.  They must be made to realise that if you murder someone, you are signing your own death warrant.
Numquam credere Gallicum

muddy

Quote from: dextrous63 on June 30, 2024, 12:03:13 PMOutsource to overseas countries.  Many advantages in doing so.

This  sounds a good idea , some country where they aren't as soft as the U.K. and it will be a real deterrent .

June 30, 2024, 09:00:24 PM
Quote from: dextrous63 on June 30, 2024, 01:29:48 PMFor a start, it seems eminently sensible to deport any asylum seeker or immigrant as soon as they have completed their sentence.  Part of the deal of them staying on these shores is that they abide by UK law.  If they choose to break their part of the bargain, then that's their choice and they can live with the consequences.

They will claim right to family life .
However let them take their family with them back to wherever .

June 30, 2024, 09:01:17 PM
Quote from: Michael Rolls on June 30, 2024, 03:19:35 PMMore prisons, harsher sentences, deport any foreigner breaking our laws

many of the criminals suffer from mental health issues what then ? 
Harsher sentences won't help them .

JBR

Quote from: muddy on June 30, 2024, 08:59:34 PMJune 30, 2024, 09:01:17 PM
many of the criminals suffer from mental health issues what then ?
Harsher sentences won't help them .
Just about every person accused of criminal acts in this country these days seems to claim 'mental health issues'.  It has become an effective 'get out of jail free card'!

They do this because of our weak attitudes and consequences today.  They laugh at us.
Numquam credere Gallicum

klondike

It's a popular issue with benefits claimants too.

dextrous63

Quote from: muddy on June 30, 2024, 08:59:34 PMJune 30, 2024, 09:00:24 PM
They will claim right to family life .
However let them take their family with them back to wherever .

They should have thought about that before committing the crime.  Their choice, ergo their decision to lose family life.

Diasi

Quote from: JBR on June 30, 2024, 10:29:51 PMJust about every person accused of criminal acts in this country these days seems to claim 'mental health issues'.  It has become an effective 'get out of jail free card'!

They do this because of our weak attitudes and consequences today.  They laugh at us.
Most of these so-called mental health issues have been dreamed up by psychiatrists, starting with that tosser Freud.

If people really do have voices telling them to kill someone they should be put down like a dangerous animal would.

As I've said many times, no psychiatrist has ever heard the alleged voice in another person's head, all they've heard is the person telling them they hear a voice.

Also, these people never seem to hear a voice telling them to withdraw all their money & give it away.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Scrumpy

Criminals have no fear of going to prison these days.. because they usually don't..
They are protected by the law more so than the victim..
They are given every comfort whist serving their pathetic sentences and they are helped when they leave.. There is little incentive to WORK.. Much easier to TAKE.
They drive around in any (ones) car that they fancy ...

The law have their hands tied..
Why would we build more prisons.. !!  Our aim should be to cull the criminals..
In any way ..      Kim Jong Un North Korea  doesn't have this problem..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

1955vintage

Castration for rapists would be a start.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off