Dr. Michael Mosley missing

Started by Mups, June 06, 2024, 10:30:57 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

Quote from: Scrumpy on June 08, 2024, 09:43:40 AMI have never heard of him..

I don't think he was ever on love island so maybe that's why  :grin:

June 08, 2024, 09:54:22 AM
One thing that did occur to me pretty much immediately was that a lot of BBC people have been hounded by the Inland Revenue over their tax status - employees or self employed. There was something in the papers the other day about one being taken to court by them for bankrupcy. I wonder if this fellow was having his collar felt and opted for the Reggie Perrin solution.

Scrumpy

**** REPORTED*** for defamation of character
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on June 08, 2024, 09:47:00 AMI don't think he was ever on love island so maybe that's why  :grin:

June 08, 2024, 09:54:22 AM
One thing that did occur to me pretty much immediately was that a lot of BBC people have been hounded by the Inland Revenue over their tax status - employees or self employed. There was something in the papers the other day about one being taken to court by them for bankrupcy. I wonder if this fellow was having his collar felt and opted for the Reggie Perrin solution.
I must admit that I'd never heard of him but his face was vaguely familiar so I must have seen him on the telly at some point.

HMRC have been chasing people after retrospectively changing the tax rules that have affected quite a few media celebs & footballers.

Without checking the precise rules it's something to do with their employment status, i.e. employed or self-employed.

At the time, these people, advised by expensive accountants, thought they were complying with the tax regulations that applied to them.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Eamonn Holmes was an example of exactly that.  HMRC made him pay around £250K. They said he was an employee, not in self employment.  
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Michael Rolls

I followed the man's 800 calorie diet to get from 14 stone plus to 12-7 in a couple of months
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

Quote from: Diasi on June 08, 2024, 05:44:27 PMWithout checking the precise rules it's something to do with their employment status, i.e. employed or self-employed.
It's called IR35 and was the bane of IT contractors lives too. All contractors used by HMG ended up considered to be employees and so got collared for far more tax. Result being that contract rates for HMG went up double or nobody would take them. It started when I was contracting and I never paid the extra. Many years ago now so they can't collar me now.

Mups

Quote from: Michael Rolls on June 08, 2024, 07:07:22 PMI followed the man's 800 calorie diet to get from 14 stone plus to 12-7 in a couple of months
Good grief, Michael,   that's a lot to lose so quickly.

Did you put it back on?

klondike

Cassandra

I attach here my results from 1989.

I was on the Cambridge diet (137 calories a day). As you can see I lost 40lbs in just over 3 months. It was 40 years ago around this time and I never felt better.

Don't ask about today!
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Mups

Quote from: klondike on June 08, 2024, 08:59:50 PMWhat his leg?  :grin:

Twit.  :grin:

I meant all the weight he lost. 

Mups

Cassandra,   are you sure it was only 137 cals per day?    I would have thought that would make you very ill,  as  thats little more than half a slice of toast and one cuppa all day long?  I would not have thought a child could survive on that,  let alone a grown man.  Didn't you have any dinner?

I did just look back at the Cambridge diet for 1980.   See here:

" When it was launched in 1980 the diet specified an intake of 330 kcal/day, and as recently as 2019 allowed an intake of 450 kcal/day. "

I'd have thought even that amount would be dangerously low for a man?  No wonder you lost weight." :shocked:

With the 5:2 diet I do every now and then,  you have to work out your BMI,  height, weight, amount of exercise you do,  male or female etc,  because we are not all the same in these things are we. 
A big heavy 6ft 6"  man would need more food than a small woman of 5ft for example.
That makes sense to me.   But your 137 cals is barely more than 2 cups of tea a day!

I do 2 separate  'Fast Days'  on around 500 - 550 cals,  and then the other days of the week about 11-1200 cals.    This works for me.

I think some people who perhaps live on Pizzas and Take-Aways,  then go down the boozer every night,  must easily consume 3-4000 cals  - or more perhaps,  so my 1100 is very little compared to that.

muddy

I just wish someone would invent a no calories Mars bar.

klondike

Quote from: Mups on June 08, 2024, 10:19:03 PMI meant all the weight he lost. 
So did I. Judging by my attempts to diet I reckon the only way I'd lose that much it that time, or probably ever, is by having one chopped off.  :grin:

Michael Rolls

Quote from: Mups on June 08, 2024, 08:29:54 PMGood grief, Michael,   that's a lot to lose so quickly.

Did you put it back on?
Once I lost Veronica, I stopped worrying about my weight and it has crept up to a tad over 13 stone most days
I found 800 very hard at first, but kept strict records and after a few months I got used to it. Now, I don't bother to keep records and eat what I like - mostly ready meals which average 600-700 cals of themselves, plus toast, etc, so without bothering to actually check, I am probably having around 1200-1500 calories a day.
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on June 08, 2024, 07:26:10 PMIt's called IR35 and was the bane of IT contractors lives too. All contractors used by HMG ended up considered to be employees and so got collared for far more tax. Result being that contract rates for HMG went up double or nobody would take them. It started when I was contracting and I never paid the extra. Many years ago now so they can't collar me now.
:upvote: Yes, I imagine you're past the 20 year investigation cut-off limit.  :grin:
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]