An Exciting Letter From the DWP

Started by Diasi, June 04, 2024, 07:29:10 PM

« previous - next »

Diasi

I had a letter from the DWP today to tell me that my State Pension is being increased by 25p per week, well less tax of course.

I honestly didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

I wish they stop this stupid piss-taking insult.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

If you have any private pension the chances are that you'll only be getting 20p of that as the tax man will be snarfing 5p before you ever see it so please don't let this go to your head.

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on June 04, 2024, 07:52:13 PMIf you have any private pension the chances are that you'll only be getting 20p of that as the tax man will be snarfing 5p before you ever see it so please don't let this go to your head.
Indeed I do have private pension so it will be taxed.

I just can't understand why they continue with the utter stupidity of it.

Either increase it to what it should be today or scrap it.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

dextrous63

I find it weirdly funny that the cost of posting the letter to you is around 3-4 weeks of the value of the increase.

klondike

Old dead bs or bank accounts are the worst. When the building societies were demutualising my father took out dozens of small accounts with £100 or so in them so he'd be eligible for any bonus paid out when they demutualised After he'd either had the bonus or it became obvious they weren't demutualising he'd clean out the account. Unfortunately he never bothered to close them. Some would still have a copper or two of interest owing.

The FCA introduced a ruling that all dormant accounts have to be closed off and the owner paid any money due. In consequence over he years I've had loads of contact about these accounts. They want differing but always considerable documentation proving I am entitled to the payout. I don't think any have reached the dizzy heights of £1. Some are sensible and let you just tick a box to donate the coppers to charity. Others not so sensible. I've had quite a few cheques for 1p over the years. Some even chase up if they aren't cashed and send another.

GrannyMac

25p!  I'd forgotten about that. Happy 80th whenever it is Phil!
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

At least I have something to look forward to now the free TV licence is means tested. I do hope they don't bring in means testing for the 25p.

dextrous63

You lot are understating the generosity of the increase.  Assuming 20% tax band, Phil now has a whole £10.80 disposable income pa.  Just think what he could do with that.

For example, he could take up smoking (and thus hand most of it back in further taxes), providing he could make 10 cigarettes last for a year.

Diasi

Quote from: dextrous63 on June 04, 2024, 08:10:06 PMI find it weirdly funny that the cost of posting the letter to you is around 3-4 weeks of the value of the increase.
That was the first thought that entered my head when I opened the letter, in fact I Googled the cost of a second class stamp. :grin:
[email protected]

dextrous63

Quote from: Diasi on June 05, 2024, 07:32:06 AMThat was the first thought that entered my head when I opened the letter, in fact I Googled the cost of a second class stamp. :grin:
Me too.  If it'd been first class, they'd have to dock your current pension to cover the cost of it!

Scrumpy

Quote from: dextrous63 on June 05, 2024, 12:27:27 AMYou lot are understating the generosity of the increase.  Assuming 20% tax band, Phil now has a whole £10.80 disposable income pa.  Just think what he could do with that.

For example, he could take up smoking (and thus hand most of it back in further taxes), providing he could make 10 cigarettes last for a year.

He couldn't afford to take up smoking.. Cigarettes start at around 13pounds...
No more pkts of 10 after next month.. ( I've just read that)
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Mups

Quote from: dextrous63 on June 05, 2024, 12:27:27 AMYou lot are understating the generosity of the increase.  Assuming 20% tax band, Phil now has a whole £10.80 disposable income pa.  Just think what he could do with that.

. . .  or he could take us out for a pub lunch.

(Drinks are on him).  :grin:

klondike

I reckon it must have been a while since you had a pub lunch Mups. Perhaps a round of peanuts but that could stretch the budget.

Mups

Quote from: klondike on June 06, 2024, 11:22:39 AMI reckon it must have been a while since you had a pub lunch Mups. Perhaps a round of peanuts but that could stretch the budget.
Really?    Blimey,  I thought he could buy us all lunch for 25p.  :wink:

Perhaps he could save it for a month, then take us. 

klondike

Quote from: Mups on June 06, 2024, 11:24:28 AMBlimey,  I thought he could buy us all lunch for 25p.  :wink:
To hear politicians talk about pension increases they must think that too. Comes from living on expenses I suppose.