The boring thread.....

Started by Scrumpy, July 18, 2023, 11:58:08 AM

« previous - next »

JBR

I set our thermostat to 20 degrees C (and about 10 overnight), but yesterday we were feeling a bit chilly so I turned it up to 23 degrees.

Interestingly, we wondered whether to turn on the gas fire instead, but I have no idea which would cost us the most.  Obviously, the gas fire would heat this particular room, whereas the central heating would do the whole house.
Numquam credere Gallicum

dextrous63

Quote from: klondike on September 12, 2024, 12:25:45 PMthey could have saved the electric heating if you'd been there - an expert in hot air if ever there was one  :grin:
😬😬😬

klondike

depends. gas fires vary in efficiency but a lot goes up the chimney.

i have the hall and upstairs radiators off as there is enough heat goes through the ceiling to the bedroom. i don't have a gas fire but do have a pretend coal electric fan heater fire and an under cupboard electric fan heater in the kitchen but i've rarely used either even before prices spiralled.

dextrous63

I'm downsizing and have arranged for additional insulation to keep me warm.

Alex

I've got an electric oil filled heater with a timer, that will be coming out again soon !    Haven't put the central heating on yet, apart from the hot water an hour in the morning and an hour at night.   

Mups

Quote from: Alex on September 12, 2024, 04:05:27 PMI've got an electric oil filled heater with a timer, that will be coming out again soon !    Haven't put the central heating on yet, apart from the hot water an hour in the morning and an hour at night. 

Yes,  me too.    Can you remember how old yours is, Alex?

The reason I ask is because mine is perhaps 5 or more years old now, and I was wondering if the oil inside is still alright?
Are we supposed to drain them and change it ever, do you  know?

Raven

We had a heavy frost overnight......Gobsmacked this morning.  :wtf:

Alex

Quote from: Mups on September 12, 2024, 10:08:25 PMYes,  me too.    Can you remember how old yours is, Alex?

The reason I ask is because mine is perhaps 5 or more years old now, and I was wondering if the oil inside is still alright?
Are we supposed to drain them and change it ever, do you  know?

I didn't think of that Mups, mine must be 10 years old, I just didn't have much use for it until the energy prices went up.

dextrous63

You don't need to change or refill the oil in oil-filled radiators because the oil is there for the life of the product. Oil-filled radiators are sealed units and the oil is used as a thermal reservoir, not as a consumable fuel. As long as the radiator is working properly, the oil won't need to be changed

Alex

dextrous63

Quote from: Alex on September 13, 2024, 02:15:05 PMThanks for that Dex :upvote:
I looked it up.  Just quoting a site, but it's good to know😊

klondike

They don't fit them with drain plugs for sure. I think I have one up the loft somewhere. Probably only used once.

Scrumpy

Coffee break... I'm painting some wooden furniture.. 
I like a change now and then.. and a coat of different colour paint makes a room look new again..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Mups

Quote from: dextrous63 on September 13, 2024, 02:07:01 PMYou don't need to change or refill the oil in oil-filled radiators because the oil is there for the life of the product. Oil-filled radiators are sealed units and the oil is used as a thermal reservoir, not as a consumable fuel. As long as the radiator is working properly, the oil won't need to be changed
Thanks for that, Dex.   That's put my mind at rest.  :smiley:

Alex