Titanic Tourist Attraction Submarine.

Started by Diasi, June 19, 2023, 05:27:13 PM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

Quote from: klondike on June 22, 2023, 07:56:27 PMThey do that every day. Nothing is 100% safe....

Mind you I suspect that buses are a few degrees of magnitude safer than that sub.
I probably worded my remark wrongly..
I am well aware that nothing is 100 % safe..
 But... To go in a sub that didn't (feel) right to some others, being bolted in from the outside and paying 200,000 seems a bit foolish to me.. Daredevils .. thrill seekers.. call them what you will..
I feel sad for the young boy who only went to appease his father.. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

Couldn't agree more. No chance I'd have risked that either.

Ruthio

This from Cameron (director of the film Titanic) is truly shocking

Titanic director James Cameron: 'OceanGate were warned' -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65994707

Scrumpy

Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

GHF

Reading all the reports, it was an accident waiting to happen.
Complete madness.

JBR

Quote from: Cassandra on June 22, 2023, 05:45:38 PMNo, water all the way. From New York port sail to Albany up the Hudson River head for the Lake Erie Canal, near Liverpool (New York, not England) and the Three Rivers. Then take the Oswego Canal in New York State to reach Lake Ontario, head north and use the the Welland Canal and the Trent Severn Waterway to reach Lake Michigan.

The Sub was on a tour of the Lakes so probably went via the Detroit River to Lake Ontario. Lake Huron, and maybe Lake Superior too. It was a much viewed machine, shrouded in mystery and in those days looking like something from a Science Fiction novel.
Thanks for that.  Looking on the map, I couldn't see any rivers of any magnitude leading to the lakes other than the St Lawrence.  I hadn't noticed the canals, and I suppose the submarine is slender enough to sail through them, locks and all.

June 23, 2023, 11:15:54 AM
Quote from: Diasi on June 22, 2023, 05:27:38 PMA debris field has been found in the area of the Titanic so it looks more & more like an implosion event.

The Titan's perspex viewing window was, on one news report, stated to be the largest submersible vehicle viewing window.

However, it seems it was only certified to a pressure depth of 1,000 metres & further depth testing & certification wasn't made on the basis of the cost.

Therefore it's reasonable to assume that this was the weak spot compared with the carbon fibre & titanium which had been engineered for the Titanic's depth, although some engineers have said the the carbon fibre should have been 7 inches thick & not the 5 inches that it was.

All this of course is just my opinion on what happened.
If any part of the submersible, window or anything else, was only tested down to 1000m, then it was irresponsible to go any deeper.

At least the owner of the company has joined his victims, though that money they paid will be sitting in the company accounts ready to be picked up by whoever has taken it over.
Personally, I think that money should, at least, be handed to the families of those passengers who perished.
Numquam credere Gallicum

Diasi

I can't take any credit for saying, on the first day it went missing, it had suffered an implosion, as it was blindingly obvious from even the scant information available at the time & I reckon most ordinary Joe's knew it.

What this demonstrates is that Rush displayed all the classic traits of being a full blown sociopath / psychopath / narcissist.

He openly bragged about breaking the rules & implied that breaking the rules could only be done by super intelligent innovators & that "You're remembered for the rules you break".

Well the tosser got that bit right if nothing else.

https://tinyurl.com/3wtvbt4x
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Raven

The truths coming out now, there's a lot of trouble ahead for some. :wtf:  :nooo:

BBC News - Titan sub CEO dismissed safety warnings as 'baseless cries', emails show
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65998914

Michael Rolls

sheer recklessness - shame he took others with him
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Diasi

Quote from: Michael Rolls on June 23, 2023, 05:22:57 PMsheer recklessness - shame he took others with him
The problem is that Rush, as a narcissist, thought his engineering & innovative skills were bordering on genius which is why he chose carbon fibre for the cabin of the Titan as carbon fibre is extremely strong & can be stronger that Titanium.

While this is true, carbon fibre is only strong so long as it doesn't suffer any deflections, so under extreme pressure Titanium will start to deform & there would have been enough warning for the Titan to start an ascent, but the carbon fibre would not deform, it would & did shatter with no warning whatsoever.

This lack of basic schoolboy understanding of the properties of these two elements is what led to the implosion.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

Carbon fibre gets used for fishing rods. I've seen one snap like a carrot in one of the wider sections. We reckon it could have been a slight imperfection where it had been tapped with something with a sharp edge. No idea if that is relevant but it can certainly fail and when it does it's a big fail.

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on June 23, 2023, 06:33:19 PMCarbon fibre gets used for fishing rods. I've seen one snap like a carrot in one of the wider sections. We reckon it could have been a slight imperfection where it had been tapped with something with a sharp edge. No idea if that is relevant but it can certainly fail and when it does it's a big faiI.
It's the same inherent weakness with carbon fibre road racing cycles whose frames shatter in an impact.

Metal frames deform but rarely snap whereas carbon fibre can't deform & the frame is virtually guaranteed to snap.
[email protected]

morty

It's hard to believe the information that's coming out .... carbon fibre ...bolted on the outside ... scaffolding rods used as ballast.
Don't these thing shave to have safety certificates.
Apparently not.

I do feel sorry for the poor 19 year old who didn't want to do the dive but didn't want to disappoint his father. 

dextrous63

Someone gave a simple explanation that the pressure that the craft has to  withstand is similar to it having to have the Eiffel Tower standing on it.

I might try and do the maths to see if it really is this order of magnitude.

Diasi

Quote from: dextrous63 on June 23, 2023, 11:04:59 PMSomeone gave a simple explanation that the pressure that the craft has to  withstand is similar to it having to have the Eiffel Tower standing on it.

I might try and do the maths to see if it really is this order of magnitude.
I saw something similar involving a building if it was made out of lead.

Apparently it weighs 10,100 tons.

I wonder how many square inches the Titan was.
[email protected]