Titanic Tourist Attraction Submarine.

Started by Diasi, June 19, 2023, 05:27:13 PM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

It surprises me that these 'adult' men passengers who, must have had some knowledge, of the vessel they were stepping into chose to continue..
 No women on there.. ummm !!

Scaffolding rods used as ballast.. !!!
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

Their website is down. Whether they have taken it down or it is just getting more traffic that in can handle I don't know. I just wanted some info on their submersible direct from them.

Ashy

Scaffolding rods for ballast!! Ridiculous.
Railway fishplates are much better.

morty

Quote from: Scrumpy on June 24, 2023, 10:03:39 AMIt surprises me that these 'adult' men passengers who, must have had some knowledge, of the vessel they were stepping into chose to continue..
 No women on there.. ummm !!

Scaffolding rods used as ballast.. !!!

Without speaking ill of the dead as they did lose their lives ... I thought the same thing.

These are intelligent clever men who have been successful in life, so must have some gumption and brains and yet they actually got into this death trap.

klondike

They were in there with the boss of the company that owned it. I suspect he was a very good salesman who didn't have to push very hard.

Diasi

Quote from: Ashy on June 24, 2023, 11:42:32 AMScaffolding rods for ballast!! Ridiculous.
Railway fishplates are much better.
Lol :upvote: :grin:

However, in reality, scaffolding poles were the exactly correct items to use as ballast because the ballast was released by the all the occupants moving to one side of the vessel so it tipped & the scaffolding poles rolled off, whereas railway fishplates wouldn't.

The animation link below shows what happened to the Titan at the moment of implosion.

To give some idea of what 30 milliseconds is, a house electrical consumer unit RCD has to trip in no more than 300 milliseconds & a domestic type b MCB on a full short circuit tripping current will trip in around 40 milliseconds.

https://tinyurl.com/9she8a9y
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

Quote from: Diasi on June 24, 2023, 05:56:40 PMbecause the ballast was released by the all the occupants moving to one side of the vessel so it tipped & the scaffolding poles rolled off
Cuts out all that high tech nonsense for sure. I might have a go at building one myself.

dextrous63

Thanks Diasi.  Some small mercy I guess.

JBR

Quote from: Diasi on June 24, 2023, 05:56:40 PMLol :upvote: :grin:

However, in reality, scaffolding poles were the exactly correct items to use as ballast because the ballast was released by the all the occupants moving to one side of the vessel so it tipped & the scaffolding poles rolled off, whereas railway fishplates wouldn't.

The animation link below shows what happened to the Titan at the moment of implosion.

To give some idea of what 30 milliseconds is, a house electrical consumer unit RCD has to trip in no more than 300 milliseconds & a domestic type b MCB on a full short circuit tripping current will trip in around 40 milliseconds.

https://tinyurl.com/9she8a9y
Very interesting, and I'm sure completely correct.

The good thing is that they would not have even been aware of that sudden decompression.  It would have been over even before they had any idea about it.

I suppose that if you were going to die, that would have been the kindest way to go.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Diasi

Quote from: JBR on June 24, 2023, 07:03:11 PMVery interesting, and I'm sure completely correct.

The good thing is that they would not have even been aware of that sudden decompression.  It would have been over even before they had any idea about it.

I suppose that if you were going to die, that would have been the kindest way to go.
I still think that the large perspex viewing window failed and that would have given the occupants a few seconds of realisation of the impending doom as it started to crack.

"According to Newman, crew members on board the Titan are instructed that they can release the ballast by rocking the ship or using a pneumatic pump to knock the weights free. "If all else fails, the lines securing the ballast are designed to fall apart after 24 hours to automatically send it back to the ocean's surface," Newman added."

Yes, in the first instance the occupants were required to release the ballast by rocking the Titan but if that didn't work a pneumatic pump could be tried & if that doesn't work it's a case of waiting 24 hours for the securing ropes to rot away.

Why the pneumatic pump wasn't the first option & rocking the boat the second option is a mystery to me.

Unless there was no pneumatic pump & rocking the boat was the only option, but, of course, Rush couldn't tell his passengers that was the case.

By comparison, Heath Robinson was a true design genius.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

I hadn't heard of carbon fibre bike frames or the failures Diasi mentioned before but I just came across this photo...

What were they thinking?

Michael Rolls

bloody hell! those fractured ends could be lethal
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Scrumpy

I find this thread interesting to read.. I understand most of it..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Diasi

The search team are trying to find the 5 bodies but I have to question how much they really understand about the actual effects of the water pressure at that depth.

This video will give you some idea of what would happen to a human body at a depth of 300 metres but it doesn't take much imagination to work out what would happen at a depth of 3,000 metres.

The experiment was done using the body of a dead pig as their body structure is very similar to that of a human.

[email protected]

Alex

I didn't need to see that, especially before my breakfast.