Ukraine.

Started by Scrumpy, February 14, 2022, 10:41:07 AM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

... came up in discussion at the dinner table yesterday..
I was the only one who thought Putin would back down.. I believe he is mocking us .. with his display of power..
Didn't Khrushchev play some sort of game with the US.. When Kennedy (?) stood his ground..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

crabbyob

at that time Scrumpy, i was playing in a pipeband welcomming the King of Norway to Scotland, there was a Pipe band in every street off Princes Street [the royal mile] we couldnt play forever so while we played the bands in the streets either side of our street rested, then they played while we rested...
we were at rest and i was stood at ease but still in formation, i was deep in thought thinking i had served my army time without hearing a shot fired in anger then here i was doing three years T.A. and we were about to go to war, i was silently cursing Mr Kennedy when the guns in Edinburgh Castle fired a 21 gun salute....if you have ever been on Princes Street at one o'clock you might understand why i almost shit myself !!!! the street shakes when they fire the gun, and for one horrid moment i thought Kruschev had started WW3

klondike

Bit on radio news suggested that Ukraine may give up on NATO membership.

Russians are a bit paranoid about getting attacked from the West and after Napoleon and Hitler you can see why.

klondike

Quote from: crabbyob on February 14, 2022, 11:07:36 AM
the guns in Edinburgh Castle fired a 21 gun salute....if you have ever been on Princes Street at one o'clock you might understand why i almost shit myself !!!! the street shakes when they fire the gun
Do you know if that gun was what started that well known Highland tradition or does something else predate it?

crabbyob

the one o'clock gun is for the ships in the estury to set their chronometers?
and being an intelligent nation there is a tall building that has a very large ball at the top of a pole and one the stroke of one, as the gun fires the ball drops down the pole as light [sight] travels a lot faster than sound..... but not a lot of folks know that... about the ball falling at one i mean, of course.. :smug:

klondike

And every day at a few seconds past one all those poor navigators mutter "Bugger - missed it again" when they hear the gun :grin:

crabbyob

i doubt that pal.... i can see them now binoculars in one hand, their finger poised in the other.... [2090]

Diasi

Well we need to learn our lesson & keep our noses out of this one.

If Putin wants the Ukraine he can have it so far as I'm concerned.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

crabbyob

Flying Bomb

If he doesn't invade how can he save face?

He strikes me as a man who would not climb down
and remove his troops without a very, very good
face saving reason.

Maybe if Ukraine signed a pack with him never to
join NATO that might be sufficient ?
I cannot see any other way.

hugh

Cannot see see Ukraine giving up on NATO. Anyone's guess the out come. It will be very costly for Russia if they do attack.
Happy Golfer

Alex

If Ukraine gives up on NATO dreams then perhaps this will all end.  I hope so, I mean how many refugees from Ukraine can we take ?  Eastern European countries are already preparing for an influx if war does break out. 

Flying Bomb

Quote from: Alex on February 14, 2022, 02:13:47 PM
If Ukraine gives up on NATO dreams then perhaps this will all end.  I hope so, I mean how many refugees from Ukraine can we take ?  Eastern European countries are already preparing for an influx if war does break out.

At least most of them would be Christian, not the Muslim boats arriving each day.

Raven

Quote from: hugh on February 14, 2022, 01:04:13 PM
Cannot see see Ukraine giving up on NATO. Anyone's guess the out come. It will be very costly for Russia if they do attack.

It's getting very costly for us, have you seen the price of Diesel lately?  :angry:

Scrumpy

Well, what do you know..!! Putin is going to pull back his troops..
Just a display of how powerful he is..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..