Main Menu

What !!

Started by Scrumpy, September 25, 2024, 01:11:36 PM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

My daughter talks about holidays... She talks in thousands..
Martha and Hattie my two older granddaughters earn .. what I think.. big money..

We saved a couple of hundred for our holidays way back.. A caravan down in West Bay Dorset..
A Pontins holiday camp..  We were so happy.. 
We would sit with a Rum and Raisin ice cream and watch the Harbour boats come and go.. chat to other holiday makers.. Stroll over the coastal hill into Bridport.. Sit outside the van in the evenings and have a game of cards with my sister and her husband..

We weren't waited on by waiters.. we didn't sit in restaurants eating posh seafood.. Or drink fancy wines..
Fish and chips.. and a shandy... Brilliant.. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

dextrous63

I'm planning to hire a camper van and travel round Scotland.  Apparently it's free and legal to park anywhere you want, and the locals are always pleased to see you, and wave and shout pleasantries when you set up overnight across their gates.

Scrumpy

Raven

Quote from: Scrumpy on September 25, 2024, 01:11:36 PMMy daughter talks about holidays... She talks in thousands..
Martha and Hattie my two older granddaughters earn .. what I think.. big money..

We saved a couple of hundred for our holidays way back.. A caravan down in West Bay Dorset..
A Pontins holiday camp..  We were so happy..
We would sit with a Rum and Raisin ice cream and watch the Harbour boats come and go.. chat to other holiday makers.. Stroll over the coastal hill into Bridport.. Sit outside the van in the evenings and have a game of cards with my sister and her husband..

We weren't waited on by waiters.. we didn't sit in restaurants eating posh seafood.. Or drink fancy wines..
Fish and chips.. and a shandy... Brilliant..

Sounds perfect.  :upvote:

Ashy

People have aspirations. But for me, some food and drink that's bad for you makes a good holiday. If I want to listen to foreign languages being spoken, I just have to go and sit in Walthamstow Market.

klondike

Quote from: dextrous63 on September 25, 2024, 01:15:37 PMI'm planning to hire a camper van and travel round Scotland.  Apparently it's free and legal to park anywhere you want, and the locals are always pleased to see you, and wave and shout pleasantries when you set up overnight across their gates.
No bites. You should take up fishing. It teaches you how baits should be presented properly.

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on September 25, 2024, 01:15:37 PMI'm planning to hire a camper van and travel round Scotland.  Apparently it's free and legal to park anywhere you want, and the locals are always pleased to see you, and wave and shout pleasantries when you set up overnight across their gates.
🤣🤣🤣

Do a quick course in Gaelic and see what they're actually shouting!
Numquam credere Gallicum

klondike

That comment reminds me of something at work years back. A particularly annoying colleague was going to an office in [somewhere foreign] for an assignment  lasting a couple of weeks. Somebody said - He doesn't know the [language] for [expletive] off now but he will when he gets back.

Mups

Holidays?  What are they?

I've only had one long weekend away (in Norfolk),  in nearly 40 years.  :sad:

Raven

I found a picture on my facebook feed, and straight away thought of yourself. :poke:

Scrumpy

Quote from: Mups on September 25, 2024, 09:02:09 PMHolidays?  What are they?

I've only had one long weekend away (in Norfolk),  in nearly 40 years.  :sad:

I don't reckon you have missed much.. BUT... that is so sad..

If you lived nearer I would invite you here.. 
I don't have a coastline on my doorstep.. Just a big park nearby.. 
Nothing posh here in my home..  But it is friendly..

dextrous63

Quote from: Raven on September 26, 2024, 01:55:17 PMI found a picture on my facebook feed, and straight away thought of yourself. :poke:
Was it this one?

Mups

Quote from: Scrumpy on September 26, 2024, 02:16:59 PMI don't reckon you have missed much.. BUT... that is so sad..

If you lived nearer I would invite you here..
I don't have a coastline on my doorstep.. Just a big park nearby..
Nothing posh here in my home..  But it is friendly..

Aaw,  that is an exceptioanlly kind thought, Scrumpy, bless your heart.  :smiley:

I think it's been too long since I've been away anywhere now, and I'd feel like a bird frightened to leave it's cage.
I'd never leave my dogs with anyone else either.   In fact, that's how the problem started I suppose,  I've always had a houseful of critters to tie me.    But if I didn't have them just in order to go away for a fortnight,  then the other 50 weeks of the year I would be very lonely indeed.

When I lived on the farm a good few years ago now,   I had about 200 birds to feed and clean,  these included Guinea fowl, Peacocks, poultry, ducks, Geese,  budgies, and Cockatiels.   I also had  11 dairy goats to milk,  and 7  beautiful German Shepherds,  and I honestly loved the lot of 'em.    You can't go swanning off when you feel like it though, and there's too many to take with you.

After circumstances changed and I moved away,  I only kept my dogs, one aviary, and half a dozen Bantams.   
Nowadays all I have is 2 small dogs and I'd never leave them.    I could take them with me on a break,  thousands of places welcome dogs nowadays,  but I am unbelievable useless at driving any distance now,  and could get lost in a Tesco's car park!    I suppose I've lost confidence now. 

I always intended to spend my retirement years in Cornwall,  but know I won't make it down there now.

dextrous63

Mups, you're missing the point.  Scrumps is looking for a cleaner, but you live too far away😬

Raven