Main Menu

Changes

Started by klondike, September 23, 2024, 07:13:53 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

Watching an old film. Aliens for the umpteenth time.

Ripley is chain smoking.

Vlad

I would be bloody chain smoking knowing one of those slobbery creatures was after my ass.
"I am in awe of myself. I never know what I will write next."

klondike

The only people you see smoking in films these days are the badasses and them none too often.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on September 23, 2024, 07:13:53 PMWatching an old film. Aliens for the umpteenth time.

Ripley is chain smoking.
Me too.  I copied it to DVD years ago.
And all four sequels!
Numquam credere Gallicum

klondike

It goes downhill after the first two imo.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on September 23, 2024, 08:31:23 PMIt goes downhill after the first two imo.
I agree.  As so often found, sequels rarely exceed or even equal the original.
Numquam credere Gallicum

Mups

Quote from: klondike on September 23, 2024, 08:07:23 PMThe only people you see smoking in films these days are the badasses and them none too often.

Quite often that is true, yes.   But having said that I was watching an old film over the weekend,  can't remember what it was called but it was all set on a long train journey.   Anyhow, the woman victim on the train was sitting in the carriage smoking away like a good 'un,  fag after fag,   and that really struck me how times have changed.   We never see that in films nowadays do we.

I don't know why,  but seeing women smoking on telly always seems worse than the men doing it.  Much the same as present day women smoking or vaping in the street.

JBR

Quote from: Mups on September 23, 2024, 10:23:03 PMQuite often that is true, yes.  But having said that I was watching an old film over the weekend,  can't remember what it was called but it was all set on a long train journey.  Anyhow, the woman victim on the train was sitting in the carriage smoking away like a good 'un,  fag after fag,  and that really struck me how times have changed.  We never see that in films nowadays do we.

I don't know why,  but seeing women smoking on telly always seems worse than the men doing it.  Much the same as present day women smoking or vaping in the street.

My dad used to smoke like a chimney - Capstan Full Strength too.  They were the only ones he claimed he could taste.
Nevertheless, he lived until nearly 80, although he was not well and was often short of breath.
Numquam credere Gallicum

klondike

Quote from: Mups on September 23, 2024, 10:23:03 PMvaping in the street.
I recall looking out for the monster cloud of vape amongst a crowd of shoppers and chortling away at the Thomas the Tank Engine impersonator. Haven't seen that in a while. Not sure if the fad for GT vapes has died out or if it's just that I rarely go where there are crowds these days. Or even if there are still crowds of shoppers - have Amazon and the like finally made them an endangered species?

Scrumpy

Smoking after sex was the thing to do.. I remember me and Sam forming  words/shapes using the lit ciggie..  in the darkness..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

dextrous63

Do they put warnings at the start of movies nowadays to indicate it may contain cigarette smoking in addition to the usual others which may cause palpitations if one were not forewarned?

klondike

I've seen them. 

In general you need two lines of warnings before a film is watchable.

Scrumpy

There are so many warnings about EVERYTHING..

The beginning of tv programs and soaps there is usually a female voice saying things like
 'This program contains scenes of a delicate nature that could be upsetting to some people'..
'If you have been upset by this programe and need help' please phone bla, bla bla..'

Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Raven

Quote from: Mups on September 23, 2024, 10:23:03 PMQuite often that is true, yes.   But having said that I was watching an old film over the weekend,  can't remember what it was called but it was all set on a long train journey.   Anyhow, the woman victim on the train was sitting in the carriage smoking away like a good 'un,  fag after fag,   and that really struck me how times have changed.   We never see that in films nowadays do we.

Try Channel 82 on Freeview, Talking Pictures. Lots of those type of films, especially the Sherlock Holmes ones. :smiley:

Cassandra

Quote from: Scrumpy on September 24, 2024, 12:07:00 PMThere are so many warnings about EVERYTHING..

The beginning of tv programs and soaps there is usually a female voice saying things like
 'This program contains scenes of a delicate nature that could be upsetting to some people'..
'If you have been upset by this programe and need help' please phone bla, bla bla..'

Yes I remember this appearing on an episode of 'Noddy'. Apparently it upset the LGBT crowd by the implication that Noddy and Big Ears were gay and the fact that Big Ears had to live in a Toadstool, implied older homosexual males were unfairly represented when Social housing choices were made in Toyland and might influence the real world!

It's so funny when you really think about it ~ heavens above, the absolute Cretins
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...