If you could choose one which would you resurrect

Scrumpy

Woolworths...Happy memories .. All those sweets on 
Pick-and-Mix..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Raven

Woolworths every time.  :clap:

Alex

Woolworths for me too !   I used to miss C & A but they've gone down hill since they shut up shop in the UK, the clothes aren't as good.

Mups

Quote from: Raven on September 15, 2024, 08:33:19 PMWoolworths every time.  :clap:

Same here. 
 I think I miss Wilko's most of all though.  I used to go in there a lot.

Mups

In our small town here,  we have lost Argos,  Wilko's,  Woolworth's,   Peacocks,  W.H. Smith, Will's clothes shop, Matalan,  2 Banks,  2 Greengrocers,  3 pet shops, and a Pub.   I wouldn't be surprised if Boots go next.

There is an abundance of charity shops, nail bars, tatoo parlours, and dubious men's barbours (always painted black),  Vaping shops,  and a new big foreign food shop which boasts of selling Halal meat!

I don't feel at ease down the high street any more,  and would never go there after dusk.

klondike

This was on the local Nextdoor and Woolworth was the majority choice there too. I only vaguely recall the Kwik Save name but it probably influenced the name of a now defunct website I set up and monetised mainly with Google adverts which listed a load of campsites and I named Kwikbreaks. That was pretty much killed off by Google when they became the de facto directory for just about any category and reduced traffic to such sites to the extent they were no longer worth running.

The first big name I recall going was Comet - my electrical retailer of choice back in the day. The local Toys R Us store has only recently been reoccupied when Home Bargains upsized by a fair factor and took it.

Alex

Maplins is a shop I miss, the young whizz kids in there were always helpful with technical problems.

klondike

Another place I miss. There would occasionally be a bargain. So many big names gone. I think the internet is slowly killing off bricks and mortar stores. I get more things from Amazon and the like now than I do in physical shops.

Scrumpy

We have just lost our M&S store nearby.. 
I hear rumours that Next and Boots are also about to go..
Primark is thriving.. No internet shopping for them..
Although I buy from Amazon I do like to go to the shops for clothes.. I like feel the fabric..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

dextrous63

A shame really, but inevitable.  After all, many of those stores were an amalgamation of old market stalls back in the day.

It's what happens to these areas with vacated units that needs some inspirational thinking.

klondike

They'll use them to house the ever increasing numbers of univited guests I expect.