Call up time

Started by Scrumpy, September 02, 2024, 09:43:00 AM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

Speaking to a friend she told me that she has been offered her Flu jab plus Covid in early October..

How quickly this has come around .. Has anyone on here been offered a date for this... ?
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

I don't get call ups. I just go over the road to the chemist for a flu jab and gave up on covid jabs after the first booster.

The chemist puts up a sign when they start doing them.

Come to think of it I might get texts or emails from the doctors but I've only ever binned those.

Alex

I got a text message to go for a Covid jab from the surgery, I just ignored it.

Mups

Quote from: Scrumpy on September 02, 2024, 09:43:00 AMSpeaking to a friend she told me that she has been offered her Flu jab plus Covid in early October..

How quickly this has come around .. Has anyone on here been offered a date for this... ?

Yes Scrumpy. I have had two texts from my surgery in a week!

One for the Flu jab,  and another one for some Respiratory infection - RSV I think that called it it?

Michael Rolls

rsv, according to the web is being offered for babies and those between 70 (or perhaps 75, I forget) and 79, so at 87 I presumably don't qualify
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Diasi

Quote from: Mups on September 02, 2024, 01:30:55 PMYes Scrumpy. I have had two texts from my surgery in a week!

One for the Flu jab,  and another one for some Respiratory infection - RSV I think that called it it?

Quote from: Michael Rolls on September 02, 2024, 01:36:07 PMrsv, according to the web is being offered for babies and those between 70 (or perhaps 75, I forget) and 79, so at 87 I presumably don't qualify
I didn't realise you were 7 years older than me.

RSV is the common cause of colds & coughs so the vaccine is intended to minimise these as well as helping to reduce blocked noses.

I haven't been contacted yet.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

Limited rollout of RSV. Maybe if they decide it is worth the cost it will be extended in later years.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/national-rsv-vaccination-programme-announced

The rollout, which will start from 1 September 2024 in England, includes a vaccine for pregnant women over 28 weeks to help protect their newborn babies, a routine programme for those over 75 and a one-off campaign for people aged 75 to 79. These are the groups at the greatest risk from RSV, based on advice from the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI).

Wales and Northern Ireland will also start their schemes in September, while Scotland will begin its rollout from 12 August.

That's England only with the other counties of the UK having different programmes.
Either way I'm out of the loop as I'm 74.

From the England wording if Scotland does the same you should be covered Mike as it says over 75 with "one-off campaign for people aged 75 to 79" whatever that means. Phil certainly should be eligible.

GrannyMac

I'm in the 75-79 group.  Got the text, logged on, no spaces left! 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

The Guardian wording makes more sense...

adults turning 75. Adults aged 75 to 79 will be offered a catchup vaccine to make sure they are protected

It seems that like the Shingles jab it's a one off when you turn a given age (75 in this case) but they are offering it to those already 75 up to 79 so Mike and Phil are likely out but I will get offered it when I am 75 which is later this year. If they still have any vaccine and money left.

Mups

Quote from: Diasi on September 02, 2024, 01:57:40 PMI didn't realise you were 7 years older than me.

RSV is the common cause of colds & coughs so the vaccine is intended to minimise these as well as helping to reduce blocked noses.

I haven't been contacted yet.

Hush man!        You must only still be in your 50's then.    :smiley:

Raven

I am not really wanting another Covid jab, but I do want the Flu one. Last year I was given both at the same appointment, one in each arm. I am guessing it will be a repeat of that this year but I don't fancy a row or a lecture from the nurses about only taking the one.

klondike

If you don't want it don't have it. It's your choice not theirs. Come to that there plenty of places you can get a flu jab. Many chemists offer them - that's where I get mine. Go somewhere like that not the GP.

Scrumpy

As Klondike says .. People have a choice.. The chemist do flu jabs.. What could be easier.!! 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Raven

The chemist's charge you though, at least here they do. But will look into it next time I'm in town.

klondike

They shouldn't if you are a pensioner. NHS provide free jabs for us.