Bypass a Paywall

Started by Alex, August 25, 2024, 02:31:29 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

I didn't know about this until today, I wanted to read an article in the Telegraph but was unable to without paying.  I then found a site which suggested you copy the article heading, then paste that into Google, it works !
Easy when you know how as the saying goes...... :rolleyes:

Vlad

Ahhh, I didn't know that..thanks.
"I am in awe of myself. I never know what I will write next."

klondike

Useful. They do or at least used to give some as freebies. When I've hit the limit I usually either find the story elsewhere or more usually just move on to a different piece of doom and gloom. Perhaps I'll remember that tip next time.

dextrous63

Aha, a top tip.  Will try it out later.

JBR

Excellent!  I once joined The Telegraph with a free trial but, having one or two comments deleted for no apparent reason, I cancelled before any payments were made.  (The bastards!)

I'll get my own back now!

Just tried it and it works.
Numquam credere Gallicum

Alex

JBR

Quote from: Alex on August 25, 2024, 08:04:27 PMPhew !  she says..... :grin:
Thanks.  I did try to just highlight and copy the title, then paste into Google, but it just went to the Telegraph which wanted me to pay!
It seems that you do have to actually type it out.
Numquam credere Gallicum

klondike

Google won't know if you typed it pasted it or even dictated it.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on August 25, 2024, 09:28:09 PMGoogle won't know if you typed it pasted it or even dictated it.
Well it didn't work when I copied and pasted it.  It asked for payment.
Numquam credere Gallicum

klondike

Interesting. Can I ask you a couple of questions?

Do you put the title into google's own search box or just into the top of an empty browser page?
Do you put quote marks around the title or not?
Can you try right click paste as plain text (shift-ctrl-v)
What title did you try it with?

On a tablet I use an app called UK News that shows most of the papers including the Telegraph and I don't recall ever seeing the paywall on that. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=vcam.dk.UKNews

JBR

Quote from: klondike on August 26, 2024, 07:15:22 AMInteresting. Can I ask you a couple of questions?

Do you put the title into google's own search box or just into the top of an empty browser page?
Do you put quote marks around the title or not?
Can you try right click paste as plain text (shift-ctrl-v)
What title did you try it with?

On a tablet I use an app called UK News that shows most of the papers including the Telegraph and I don't recall ever seeing the paywall on that. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=vcam.dk.UKNews
I copied the title and put it into the space provided on the Google page.
No, I didn't use quote marks.
Yes, I selected using the mouse, copied and then pasted using ctrl-v.
I don't remember the particular title.

However, I have managed to make it work with other attempts using the above procedure.

Perhaps it was just 'finger trouble'.
Numquam credere Gallicum

klondike

Maybe. Google doesn't always give the same results for the same search so maybe it was just chance. Doing a copy of something from a website page potentially copies across some of the html formatting. Most web forms accept only the text portion and drop the formatting. Other forms such as this post box will retain some of the formatting.

e.g. ....

Suella Braverman tears into Rachel Reeves 'gimmicks' that could cost taxpayers thousands

I wondered if Google was using a form that retained the formatting and deliberately gave a different result.

JBR

Thanks for the advice.  I shall, in any event, keep using the procedure as I refuse to pay to use the online Telegraph.  Greedy buggers!  Other papers post online and don't charge.

I'm grateful to Alex for discovering the method.
Numquam credere Gallicum

dextrous63

I thought papers got a lot of their income through advertising🤷🏻�♂️

I'd happily subscribe a nominal fee, if only to have access to the crosswords and obituaries.

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on August 26, 2024, 01:26:04 PMI thought papers got a lot of their income through advertising🤷🏻�♂️

I'd happily subscribe a nominal fee, if only to have access to the crosswords and obituaries.
I have no problem with newspapers advertising.  That would be a very good way for them to help fund themselves, especially as more people read papers online now, so no sales on the street.

Although sometimes slightly obtrusive, I find them very easy to skip past!
Numquam credere Gallicum