Ghost towns

Started by Scrumpy, August 16, 2024, 09:33:09 AM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

One of our large M&S stores closes down tomorrow..
The big one in Crawley is also for the chop.. It might have closed already..
Their food stores remain open ... at the moment..
So sad to see a bustling town become a ghost town because the big stores are closing..
I also read that Next are closing some of their stores .. 
Yet Primark continues to thrive..
I do pop in Primark when Hattie or Martha (grandchildren) are with me..
They are wise.. They buy cheap..  And much of their stuff is fine..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Alex

It's sad to see the high street disappearing, it's happening all over UK.  Ellesmere Port town centre, which is next to the affluent Cheshire Oaks is a ghost town too.  Wilko shut down and Poundland took over, now that's closed too.  Lovely bakery gone, the market is more of a food hall than a market.  Some people blame the Oaks for the Port's demise, but I don't see it that way as Cheshire Oaks is a designer clothes and sports shop outlet and great if you're a size 8. ! 

dextrous63

Rent and limited parking is partly to blame.

klondike

The Nextdoor local forum seems to be full of stories of places closing in town. The council have been digging up the market square for best part of a year and have now started on the main shopping street which has had barriers and holes for at least a month or more.

I think the plans are to convert the non arcade stores like BHS and M&S to flats. Debenhams has probably already been done by now.  I've given up using the bus for town as the main road leading into the centre has been shut for a year too and the diversion and delays makes walking in pretty much as quick. Not that I go there often anyway as you never know if the shop you planned to visit will still be there.

Mups

Are you talking about Northampton market square by any chance, Klondike?
I remember when it started, the market traders were all up in arms about it.  I seem to remember them saying the temporary site they had been offered was about 2 miles out of town so they wouldn't get any trade.

Its the same here.   Miserable high street we've got now.   I'd never go along there after dark.
Argos closed,  W.H. Smith went,  Will's, Peacocks, Wilko's,  a couple of the banks,  the Wimpey Bar, a big card shop,  2 pet shops,  and probably more places I have forgotten.

Now all we've got are men's barbours,  tattoo parlours, and nail bars,  and some of them look right dodgy too.     I often see the boss and employees standing around in the entrance all vaping,  you'd never have seen that once upon a time.   We've even got a shop that boasts of its Halal butcher now.
The whole atmosphere has changed, and it feels creepy to me now.

JBR

Quote from: Scrumpy on August 16, 2024, 09:33:09 AMOne of our large M&S stores closes down tomorrow..
The big one in Crawley is also for the chop.. It might have closed already..
Their food stores remain open ... at the moment..
So sad to see a bustling town become a ghost town because the big stores are closing..

Fortunately, our nearest M&S is still going strong.  We called in yesterday to buy some new clothes for our holiday in a couple of weeks.  I think it is probably the best place for such things: they have quite a wide selection of good quality clothes.  Unfortunately, many of my particular sizes have been grabbed, especially those 'on offer', but isn't that always the case?
Numquam credere Gallicum

klondike

Quote from: Mups on August 16, 2024, 10:54:41 AMAre you talking about Northampton market square by any chance, Klondike?
Yes. They eventually got space in St. Peter's car park. The Argos one. Way off the town centre itself at the bottom end of Gold Street. They were digging the market place up still last time I was in town - I think they are hoping to strike oil and wipe out the council's financial problems. When it eventually opens up again what they will mostly need will be stallholders as I imagine most have moved on or given up.

They demolished the old bus station years back and converted the fish market into a bus station. it is way too smail and stops overflow outside and into the Drapery. The old site is still undeveloped as is the old Gasworks site on Peter's Way with probably the third or fourth supposed development advertised.

I heard that Carlseberg had to cancel their Christmas party after the council got involved.

Alex

We have the 2nd largest M & S on our doorstep at Cheshire Oaks so no chance of it closing down.  It's always nice to wander round, though I did get lost when it first opened.  Good quality clothes, excellent coffee shops and restaurant, the carrot cake is soooooooo good.

Mups

Quote from: klondike on August 16, 2024, 11:51:06 AMYes. They eventually got space in St. Peter's car park. The Argos one. Way off the town centre itself at the bottom end of Gold Street. They were digging the market place up still last time I was in town - I think they are hoping to strike oil and wipe out the council's financial problems. When it eventually opens up again what they will mostly need will be stallholders as I imagine most have moved on or given up.

They demolished the old bus station years back and converted the fish market into a bus station. it is way too smail and stops overflow outside and into the Drapery. The old site is still undeveloped as is the old Gasworks site on Peter's Way with probably the third or fourth supposed development advertised.

I heard that Carlseberg had to cancel their Christmas party after the council got involved.

I haven't been into Northampton town for a few years now.  
I don't like driving there,  so went on the bus the last time.   
When you say they have demolished the old bus station,  it used to be just behind the Grovenor Centre didn't it, and was handy because you only had a short walk and you were in the back entrance of the Centre.

Is this the bus depot you meant has closed now?

klondike

That's the one. It seems it was 9 years ago (doesn't time fly) and the site is still undeveloped.

Scrumpy

Quote from: Alex on August 16, 2024, 11:53:52 AMWe have the 2nd largest M & S on our doorstep at Cheshire Oaks so no chance of it closing down.  It's always nice to wander round, though I did get lost when it first opened.  Good quality clothes, excellent coffee shops and restaurant, the carrot cake is soooooooo good.

I have been to Cheshire Oaks a few times on my visits to Stockport.. 
Lovey place to shop..

Alex

Quote from: Scrumpy on August 17, 2024, 09:13:19 AMI have been to Cheshire Oaks a few times on my visits to Stockport..
Lovey place to shop..

If you're a size 8  Scrumps !  :grin:

dextrous63

Scrumpy

Quote from: Alex on August 17, 2024, 11:05:51 AMIf you're a size 8  Scrumps !  :grin:

Just buy two of everything.. That gets the size up..