Dead Calm. (A Heads Up)

Started by Raven, June 17, 2024, 06:11:33 PM

« previous - next »

Raven

Tonight BBC2 at 9pm.
It's a documentary about the Greek Coastguard dealing with Migrants and it's causing a load of trouble.
I just saw a wee clip on The News about it.
Migrants being taken back out of Greek waters and either put in a tiny life boat or thrown overboard. AND, that's just for starters. Might be worth a watch then discussion.
I was shocked I don't mind telling you.  :shocked: 

JBR

Quote from: Raven on June 17, 2024, 06:11:33 PMTonight BBC2 at 9pm.
It's a documentary about the Greek Coastguard dealing with Migrants and it's causing a load of trouble.
I just saw a wee clip on The News about it.
Migrants being taken back out of Greek waters and either put in a tiny life boat or thrown overboard. AND, that's just for starters. Might be worth a watch then discussion.
I was shocked I don't mind telling you.  :shocked: 
If only we could do that.
Numquam credere Gallicum

Alex

I have no faith in the BBC these days, particularly when it comes to immigration.  Their 'evidence' will no doubt be from NGOs  :lipsrsealed:

JBR

Quote from: Alex on June 17, 2024, 08:02:24 PMI have no faith in the BBC these days, particularly when it comes to immigration.  Their 'evidence' will no doubt be from NGOs  :lipsrsealed:
I agree.  Our 'national broadcaster' demonstrates more anti-Britishness than anyone else, and to make matters worse we are obliged to pay for it if we want to watch ANY live TV.
Numquam credere Gallicum

muddy

I agree but what to do ? 
I resent paying the licence but being an OAP will probaby be hauled off to jail if I don't pay it 
( I supose when in jail I won't have too ) 

ansu

I can confirm you, what BBC told about the migrant boats seems to be correct - it was on our TV, too. 

Raven

Quote from: ansu on June 22, 2024, 09:57:52 AMI can confirm you, what BBC told about the migrant boats seems to be correct - it was on our TV, too.

Thankyou.

Alex

Quote from: ansu on June 22, 2024, 09:57:52 AMI can confirm you, what BBC told about the migrant boats seems to be correct - it was on our TV, too.

ARD probably get their figures from the BBC Ansu  !  :grin:

ansu

No, Alex, I don't think so. I suppose the Greeks are fed up with having to deal with such a lot of migrants, as, by the way, all countries around the Med, think of Italy, Spain etc. countries that are depending on the tourism. 

JBR

Quote from: ansu on June 23, 2024, 03:45:19 PMNo, Alex, I don't think so. I suppose the Greeks are fed up with having to deal with such a lot of migrants, as, by the way, all countries around the Med, think of Italy, Spain etc. countries that are depending on the tourism.
I think that the EU ought to unite and collectively reject anyone who enters illegally.
Needless to say, we should do the same as well, yet our glorious leaders actively encourage them to come.

I think on this one matter - illegal entry - we and the EU would benefit from uniting.
If we feel that the invitation of suitably qualified foreigners would benefit us, then yes, invite them in.

Better still, we should 'encourage' our own unemployed to take whatever work is offered to them, rather than paying them to sit at home.
Numquam credere Gallicum

klondike

There's that inconvenient and outdated 1951 Refugee Convention which the ECHR ties us to though. Of course all EU member states are bound by it too as the ECHR forms part of EU membership. 

JBR

Quote from: klondike on June 23, 2024, 07:02:09 PMThere's that inconvenient and outdated 1951 Refugee Convention which the ECHR ties us to though. Of course all EU member states are bound by it too as the ECHR forms part of EU membership.
Yes another EU problem, despite our supposedly having left.
Logically, we should also have left the ECHR.  Our country has a history of human rights probably longer that that of some other European countries.
This is what happens when most of the people want to leave the EU, but the politicians and civil service want to stay.
Numquam credere Gallicum

Ashy

We've been too soft on people breaking and entering our continent and our country. 

Raven

Quote from: Ashy on June 24, 2024, 10:16:23 AMWe've been too soft on people breaking and entering our continent and our country.

We sure have.

ansu

As to the Germans, I think I can say that there might only be a minority wanting to leave the EU - the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Take for instance the young people - Erasmus offers them to study in every EU country without any restrictions. As an EU citizen you can work in any EU country without having to apply for a work permit. For years i have worked in the service of exportation and don't ask me what a lot of documents had to be filled out and submitted until the goods could be sent off finally. I could go on ........