Self-Appointed Forum Censors

Started by Diasi, February 05, 2024, 07:28:37 AM

« previous - next »

Diasi

We seem to have imported some recently, whereas from the start of this forum we ticked along without any.

It's the reason that I never visit PF any more.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

dextrous63

Scrumpy

Klondike (Mark) who set up this forum was brilliant.. No censors.. Nobody 'reporting' anyone else.. People played the game and all is going smoothly..
If a member doesn't like what is said by another they have every right to say so.. 
It doesn't make that person a 'censor'... 
We have had a couple of scraps on here and a couple of members have 'flounced'..
Klondike does not get involved ..  
We are lucky to have a forum like this... with no rules.. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

I don't intend to either. Many years back I was asked to be a mod on a forum. It's hard work and just brings you trouble. I was tempted to tell Teacher to take a hike and asked as most here will know. The verdict was no. He took a hike anyway of his own accord and good riddance. Crabby flounced because I told him he was being an arse. That was me telling him though and not a moderator. I was sorry to see him go.

morty

Quote from: Scrumpy on February 05, 2024, 09:19:34 AMKlondike (Mark) who set up this forum was brilliant.. No censors.. Nobody 'reporting' anyone else.. People played the game and all is going smoothly..
If a member doesn't like what is said by another they have every right to say so..
It doesn't make that person a 'censor'...
We have had a couple of scraps on here and a couple of members have 'flounced'..
Klondike does not get involved .. 
We are lucky to have a forum like this... with no rules..
I agree ... but ... sometimes unless an amicable armistice can be reached it runs the risk of perpetual discord and running battles on a forum.
Diasi makes a fair point.
It can seem easier, in the end, to just back off, back away and have an easier life.
There is virtually no moderation  or more accurately, moderating presence on PF . and it shows. To the detriment of the site.

Scrumpy

I certainly don't mean a slanging match.. or bad name calling..
We must have the right to disagree with another or there will be people on here who think they are always right..

JBR

Mentions of PF suggest that that forum is forcefully policed.
I don't find it to be so bad.
I have admittedly been given warnings a couple of times, but they have been for one thing only: the mention on there of this forum, even when done surreptitiously!
I take care not to do that now.

Although I prefer this forum, it is short of a few more members and sometimes new posts.  If things are quiet here, I do pop over to PF to see what's going on. 
The big drawback of PF in my opinion is the presence of some rather unfriendly and argumentative types, although I simply scroll past them and their posts.

So no really strict censorship (as at the old OFF or whatever it's called now) on PF, but just some undesirable people!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

morty

And there is the nub of the matter.

Undesirable people.

Not everyone can get along on a forum, that's human nature but when the point continually gets reinforced , even surreptitiously, it makes for an uncomfortable atmosphere.
In short... who gets to say who is an 'undesirable'.... just because someone doesn't like or agree with another person.

My position is ... I'm a member of both forums... now an occasional poster , to steal your term ... possibly one of your 'undesirable people' whom you ignore but still regularly obliquely refer to in a derogatory way.

I'm waiting to see which way the wind blows and at a future date whether here or PF might offer me a friendly home, but that will depend upon other people. 
Time will tell so I'll have to be patient.

klondike

I don't know what happens now but in the past Chris only responded to complaints and then he'd just delete whatever had been complained about and neither mark that a post had been removed nor contact the poster.

A very simple and at times a very annoying strategy. I just left the forum at one time when there was a very aggressive poster there who complained about any response that disagreed with her. I rejoined after she quit with a fresh id as I'd asked for the old one to be deleted; not that it ever was.

That forum would have pretty much died if it hadn't been rescued by those deserting the overfifties board. I had an id there but wasn't a regular poster and just couldn't be bothered to learn how to use the rather odd format it changed to. I'd never seen a forum that worked like that.

Alex

I can't believe we're having this conversation.
We must be able to give our opinion and better to do that on the forum than a private message to Mark.

Scrumpy

If a member is downright rude to other members.. I am sure they will not want to stay on here for long.. We would form a lynching mob..  :nooo: Alex riding up front..  :grin: :grin: :grin:

GrannyMac

We won't always be in agreement. Reply or ignore. The choice is ours.  We can't control what others think, but we can choose how we respond.

I like this place, we rub along pretty well in the main.   klondike is right about the other place, it was on its last legs. 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

JBR

Quote from: Alex on February 05, 2024, 12:48:06 PMI can't believe we're having this conversation.
We must be able to give our opinion and better to do that on the forum than a private message to Mark.
Who has suggested sending a PM to Mark?
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Ruthio

dextrous63

Quote from: JBR on February 05, 2024, 02:20:09 PMWho has suggested sending a PM to Mark?
Wouldn't waste your breath.  You'd get more sense out of Brian.😬🤭