Is Nigel returning to front line politics?

Started by klondike, December 28, 2023, 10:18:42 PM

« previous - next »

Ashy

Sounds right to me JBR, the eu is already an extra government, which makes directive law, has several presidents, umpteen commissioners (all appointed and unaccountable), and a parliament which is no more than a very expensive talking shop. I don't seek to criticise any country that likes that sort of arrangement but it really isn't the British way.

JBR

Quote from: Ashy on December 30, 2023, 04:45:29 PMSounds right to me JBR, the eu is already an extra government, which makes directive law, has several presidents, umpteen commissioners (all appointed and unaccountable), and a parliament which is no more than a very expensive talking shop. I don't seek to criticise any country that likes that sort of arrangement but it really isn't the British way.
Yes, commissioners appointed and unaccountable.  I understand that each member state appoints one, and assuming that they all have quite different preferences, I'm surprised that they ever come to a 100% agreement.  Consequently, the laws they pass will be on a majority basis presumably.

That doesn't bode well for the smaller countries who each have quite different intents.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

ansu

Every country has the right to express a veto against an initiative or law to be passed - vide Hungary and the support for the Ukraine. Of course, it's difficult to bring all countries under one hat as we say, but usually a compromise is found. 
Some laws are checked and have to be approved by the EU that's true, but not all of them, because they are only important for Germans and not for the other countries. 
I think - sorry - you are a bit exaggerating and overestimating the influence of the EU parliament. 
As far as I can judge the UK had an important influence when it still belonged to the EU and it was partly your government who made mad or how you say the EU. Sorry! 

klondike

I think the veto powers have been watered down a bit...

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/council-eu/voting-system/qualified-majority/

Of course there is no way the EU can absolutely force a member country to comply and some don't. The UK played by the rule book though.

Cassandra

The EU has 'Directives and Regulations' and these can only be passed as 'laws' as directed and agreed by member states. Bit like the Krays 'requesting' you to pay 'protection' assurance?

Under terms of a treaty that each State signs individually with the EU before admittance, members must agree to abide to the remits as set down in said treaty. So this overall 'sweeper' is determinate in all instances and prosecution follows for breach of treaty, via the ever reliable ECJ.

The powerhouse is the EU 'Council' they determine everything ~ the Parliament is subsidiary and in reality merely a 'Rubber Stamp' to homogenise an undemocratic, autocratic construction.

My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Cassandra

Quote from: klondike on January 03, 2024, 01:52:17 PMI think the veto powers have been watered down a bit...

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/council-eu/voting-system/qualified-majority/

Of course there is no way the EU can absolutely force a member country to comply and some don't. The UK played by the rule book though.

I can't think of any time non compliance has been allowed to stand 'De facto'. I may be wrong ...

Many confuse the 'selectively ignored' decisions of the ECtHR (European Court of Human Rights - 1950) to those of The European Court of Justice (1952), which was set up to adjudicate EU Laws only and to which the link over 'majority decisions' refers.

The latter has considerable powers to enforce judgements by fines and to suspend members. The former is an upper chamber (appeal vehicle) to hear cases referred on Domestic treatment of it's citizens (and bodies of such) upon human rights and political freedoms throughout their territories by it's members.

For example the National governments of the 47 members of the Council of Europe have ignored the rulings of 9,944 judgements with some cases stretching back to 1992, according to the Council's database.

The UK has only 8 outstanding at the moment, less than both France and Germany.

It is this swathe of non-relevant statistics (ECtHR) that thematically convolutes the diversity of the the said two bodies.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

JBR

Some interesting information regarding the way the EU functions.  Thank you.

The overall impression I get is that the EU is overwhelmed with both rules and organisation.
I am pleased and relieved that we were successful in leaving on the basis of a democratic decision.

It worries me that if the electorate, in their 'wisdom', decide to vote for Sir Kneeler and his party, who has virtually promised to take us back into the EU, we are back under the effective control of a foreign power.

Still, the way this country is going right now, it should be pointless my worrying about our future!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire