O. M. G.

Started by Raven, October 28, 2023, 08:10:18 PM

« previous - next »

Raven

I feel quite faint, the new fence is going to cost £982  :cry: I knew wood prices had gone through the roof since Brexit but....bloody hell.  :yell:

Alex

How many panels is that for ? :shocked:

Raven

It's not panels this time, it's a slatted fence.

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Raven

I knew the price of wood had rocketed since brexit but I wasn't expecting it to be by that much.

Alex

So they're not slotting in ready made panels, maybe why it's this price ? 

Ashy

Sounds like they will build the fence from scratch, so it's probably reasonable. I see they are also clearing out the old one too. That's a bit less than a new boiler.

Raven

Quote from: Alex on October 28, 2023, 09:05:44 PMSo they're not slotting in ready made panels, maybe why it's this price ? 
No not panels I want something the wind won't destroy easily.
Yes Ashy built from scratch. Last time my SIL did the panel type with my help but there's no give when the wind's get fierce so that type wrecks easily.
It will be like this, with a wee space to let the wind through.

dextrous63

Hate to say this but it sounds quite reasonably priced Raven.

klondike

There is a fence that was put up over the road from me. I think they are metal panels in concrete posts. Maybe 10 panels I'd have to check. Anyway my next door neighbour told me the job had cost £8k or possibly £6k. Silly money anyway but the job did also involve taking the top several layers off the existing brick wall and capping it. A couple of blokes  were there several days.

The brick wall had been tagged. I checked my cctv at the time and it was done in just a few seconds. I hope the new fence doesn't suffer the same.

Raven

Quote from: klondike on October 28, 2023, 11:00:30 PMThe brick wall had been tagged. I checked my cctv at the time and it was done in just a few seconds. I hope the new fence doesn't suffer the same.

What do you mean it was tagged? Never heard that expression about a fence/wall before.

It's going ahead anyway no matter the cost, but it would be nice if next door stumped up some of the cash, but I very much doubt it. So I'm heading down to Perth in a week to get things done, and catch up with a few friends.

Scrumpy

With all the high winds and flooding this is the time builders can make a 'killing'..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Raven

Quote from: Scrumpy on October 29, 2023, 09:40:03 AMWith all the high winds and flooding this is the time builders can make a 'killing'..

Aye, they will all be rubbing their hands in glee.  :cry:

klondike

Quote from: Raven on October 29, 2023, 05:20:42 AMWhat do you mean it was tagged? Never heard that expression about a fence/wall before.

Tagging is graffiti spray paint initialing. Pretty bad pic of what was done just pulled from a bit of CCTV.

The drunken pole is a bus stop presumably put up by a drunken workman.

This is the fence. Seems they were metalpoles too not concrete. I never took a lot of notice before other than there was a new fence. I checked the length on google maps and it is 130 feet which goes a way towards explaining the cost. You can see what I meant by lowering the wall which I think was leaning and why the job got done.

Raven

Oh I understand now thanks. They've certainly made it private on their side.