Storm Babet and our Scottish members.

Started by GrannyMac, October 19, 2023, 05:59:27 PM

« previous - next »

GrannyMac

Mike and Raven, I hope you're ok?   Looking at the news from the East Coast, its a bit wild!  
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

dextrous63

Just watching the weather on the news.  Am thinking of you and I hope you keep warm, safe, dry and damage free!!!!

Raven

We are ok here thanks, we are above the red warning zone. Bit concerned about my Perth home as it's now inside the red zone, it was extended during the afternoon. My area does flood when it's bad and this is really bad. My son got some sandbags and has put them at my back door as it's actually on ground level, no steps up to go into the house.
I want to go down to Perth incase of anything happening but it's too dangerous to travel, earliest we can go is Saturday morning. Daughter in Dundee is also in the red zone but she's got several steps up to her house so she's not worried about flooding just structural damage.
Most of Brechin has been evacuated out of their homes to goodness knows where.
Just had a text from my son to tell me my fences are down...... Great this will cost a fortune to sort out. Bloody weather.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-scotland-67146840

Scrumpy

Oh Raven.. what a bummer.. I thought of you when Perth was mentioned on the weather news.
I hope it is just the fencing.. nothing more.
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

dextrous63

Me too.  I hope the insurance pays up presto pronto.

Michael Rolls

I'm OK so far. Our bungalow is fortunate in its position - Back one August a cloud burst put four feet of water into the farm yard opposite, and several inches into next door's garage but we were OK even then. Hopefully the builder comes tomorrow to fix the damage to the ceiling. Rained, quite literally, all day yesterday and is still raining
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Good news Mike.  Our family in and around Angus, all ok as of yesterday too. 

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

dextrous63

If Raven's fence is the only casualty then that's a good outcome.

Raven

Quote from: dextrous63 on October 20, 2023, 08:43:20 AMIf Raven's fence is the only casualty then that's a good outcome.

Dave sent me this photo earlier :cry: It's next doors fence, he promised me last summer it would be replaced as it was falling to bits. He didn't do it :angry: and now we wait and see if he will. :nooo: I get the feeling it will be me who ends up doing it though. :angry:
As you can see, gardening is not something he tends to do, it's a bloody mess and when I go down to Perth I spend ages yanking out weeds that come through from his side.

Alex

Oh dear, would his house insurance cover this ?

Raven

No idea if he even has any, he's quite new to the area and I don't like him much. Not the type of guy you can really talk to.

klondike

I think fences would be an extra. I have decent walls so it isn't something I check but I have had fences down in the past and always did the job myself which I wouldn't have if the insurance covered them.

GrannyMac

Us too.  Fences are choices and different to boundaries, so Raven may end up replacing the one in the photo.  We've paid for fencing on both sides of our garden, because we wanted it to look ok.  We just made sure it was within our boundary line.  And, luckily its a small garden. 😉

dextrous63

Good point about fences and boundaries Granny.  The difference never crossed my mind.