CRICKET

Started by Alex, July 05, 2023, 08:06:30 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

Very  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
(I can hear Veronica saying it's only a game)
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Cassandra

Quote from: Michael Rolls on July 11, 2023, 05:25:51 AMI like the look of your team! Regarding Devon Correction, sir. Devon played Tests from '89 to '97. Gordon's last Test was in '91, Desmond's in '94. Just checked – the occasion I had in mind was 24 Feb to 1st March 1990 at Kingston (which England won by 9 wickets) – Devon took 5 in the match and second innings scorecard reads Haynes, bowled Malcolm 14 - It must have been highlights on TV, but no mistake - a very fast full toss hit leg stump. Devon, to my mind was like the little girl with the curl - he was very good at times, and pretty ordinary at others. There was, to mind, an unnecessarily cruel comment about him once - can't remember which tour it was, but the party had been announced, and one of the Telegraph writers gave a pen portrait of each player. Of Devon he wrote 'on his day, probably the fastest bowler in the world. Unfortunately, his day doesn't come round very often'

Sorry Mike, of course your completely correct. For some reason I have always confused Desmond Haynes with Conrad Hunt and Gordon Greenidge with Roy Fredericks!

What a wonderful weigh up of Devon. Unfortunately I see he went for 37 a piece in Test cricket, bit like Moeen, too many four balls!

I've not been too well for the past week or so, otherwise I would have conceded my statistical sins earlier :worried:  Perhaps we have to drop Old Trafford, it rains too much there. My friend said there's a saying that if you can see the Pennines from the dressing room balcony, its going to rain any moment, and if you can't it's already raining!

Shame it would have been a good finish, do hope the booing of the Aussie wicket keeper desists soon too!
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

I don't like what he did - but enough is enough - bygones and all that, Yes 37  is too many but when on song...
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

just found a clip of Dev's demolition of RSA on youtube. Firmly fixed in my mind that it was 9-59 - but in fact it was 9-57
[email protected]

Cassandra

Quote from: Michael Rolls on July 24, 2023, 05:45:30 PMI don't like what he did - but enough is enough - bygones and all that, Yes 37  is too many but when on song...

Yes I would never have done it in my playing days and thankfully Ben confirmed he would have withdrawn the appeal. Somehow we are complicit with their past habit of sledging, in booing. Turn the other cheek and gain the moral higher ground of decency. I agree about Devon, enthralling and savage.

Woody is fast, but he's a slitherer, low slung and bowls nasty neck high bouncers from nowhere, bit like Larwood (from lots of footage on him). I believe through the air he's the fastest Englishman I've ever seen. Can you imagine him at one end and Larwood at the other - no thanks! That said I still reckon Larwood was even quicker and like Wood was a small man in comparison to the giants of today. Similar actions too, both very exciting to see I should imagine. My father said that Larwood (a Nottinghamshire miner), never seemed to tire and could reel 15 overs off at a time, ending as quick as he began. Beautiful side on action being the secret. Bradman said he was the fastest (by a way) he ever faced.

Devon was explosive and so unpredictable, as you say great on his day Mike and a lovely chap to know too, which thanks to my pal I've had the honour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-PdXYbxi_s&ab_channel=ZCricket
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

I've seen quite a few clips of Larwood over the years, but that one was new to me - thanks.
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

I'm not happy. It was never mentioned in the highlights, but reading the paper apparently there could have been some play on Sunday. According to the report, the rain stopped a bit after twelve, so given time for mopping up there could have been play around 1300, but guess what? The umpires took everyone off for lunch - the full 40 minutes. Needless tp say by the time the noshing was over, the rain was back. TBH, I doubt England could have taken 5 wickets in the time available, but at least they could have had a go. THe article was very critical about the rigidity of Test timetabling, and also asked why Tests don't have a set aside day for such eventualities, but shock, horror to do that might impinge on the days available for the idiotic 100
[email protected]

JBR

Having seen the Australians' tactics in cricket - sandpapering the ball, knocking over stumps when the over has been completed, etc. - it is my belief that the Australians quietly did a rain dance last Friday to ensure no more play last weekend!  🙄😠
Numquam credere Gallicum

Michael Rolls

Probably got an abo witch doctor in the dressing room!
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Michael Rolls on July 26, 2023, 12:28:26 PMProbably got an abo witch doctor in the dressing room!
Ooh!  He said 'abo'.  There'll be trouble!
Numquam credere Gallicum

Michael Rolls

see if I care - unrepentant right wing slob
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Michael Rolls on July 26, 2023, 04:39:52 PMsee if I care - unrepentant right wing slob
No problem.  I'm an unrepentant right wing person too, though not a slob!
Numquam credere Gallicum

Michael Rolls

oh dear! The Oval not going well. Can't see 283 being par for the course, but when Root, Stokes and Bairstow can only manage 12 runs between them, trouble looms. And Ali has picked up a groin strain and could hardly hobble,
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Michael Rolls on July 28, 2023, 06:14:37 AMoh dear! The Oval not going well. Can't see 283 being par for the course, but when Root, Stokes and Bairstow can only manage 12 runs between them, trouble looms. And Ali has picked up a groin strain and could hardly hobble,
I can't say that I blame them if they feel it isn't worth it now.
Australia 2 - 1 up, and a draw due to rain.  
Even if we won this last one it would be a 2 - 2 draw and Australia would retain the Ashes.
The Oval looks like Australia will make it 3 - 1 up anyway.
Numquam credere Gallicum

Michael Rolls

well, England have started like an express train, but have just lost a second wicket - so both openers gone with a lead of 128 runs - time for Root, with some failures behind him, to come to the aid of the party - ditto Stokes - good leadership decision to come at three in the absence of Ali - but he has to make it work
[email protected]