CRICKET

Started by Alex, July 05, 2023, 08:06:30 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

unchanged squad announced - so Bairstow keeps the gloves which I reckon to be a mistake - he's missed at least four regulation catches and two stumpings - just not good enough at this level. Hopefully, the fact that he is in the squad means that Wood is fit
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Cassandra

Quote from: Michael Rolls on July 12, 2023, 06:13:32 AMunchanged squad announced - so Bairstow keeps the gloves which I reckon to be a mistake - he's missed at least four regulation catches and two stumpings - just not good enough at this level. Hopefully, the fact that he is in the squad means that Wood is fit

They must have Rishi Sunak as an adviser, you know the 'what can we do today to become more unpopular' reasoning. If they play Anderson I won't bother to watch.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

must say I am not impressed. There was an intersting article by Michael Vaughan saying he understood the decision - that Bairstow's batting, and especially his strike rate, compensated for his lapses with the gloves, and that he had the same dilemma between Geraint Thomas and Chris Read. Well, I still think that they are wrong. All the matches have been pretty close and glove lapses aren't helpful
[email protected]

Cassandra

Quote from: Michael Rolls on July 18, 2023, 05:09:35 PMmust say I am not impressed. There was an intersting article by Michael Vaughan saying he understood the decision - that Bairstow's batting, and especially his strike rate, compensated for his lapses with the gloves, and that he had the same dilemma between Geraint Thomas and Chris Read. Well, I still think that they are wrong. All the matches have been pretty close and glove lapses aren't helpful

A perfect explanation Mike, its all about JB, not wanting to go 3. I think at present Foakes, the world's best keeper is also better batting choice too and keep Moeen (a superb and unselfish team player) at number 3.

My pal over here (who actually did all this for a living) convinces me that Jimmy is a much better bet than Robinson - even as a 'stock' bowler. Also if it clouds over at his home ground, a real handful still, even post 40 years of age.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

I believe that Robinson is still an injury doubt anyway - but Jimmy's figures in his two tests are 3-226, average 72.33 - hardly inspiring
[email protected]

1955vintage

Anderson has been unlucky with the catching support, and his runs per over has put the Australian team under pressure.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

Michael Rolls

fair point - and the last time I dared to say that he was past it - a couple of years ago - he promptly took a fifer in the very next innings
[email protected]

1955vintage

Switching channels between the cricket and the golf, enjoying the golf more because there seems to be more skill and finesse involved.

Crash ,bang wallop batting and short pitch bowling is not proper cricket.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

Michael Rolls

well, Bairstow took a brilliant catch yesterday, but one swallow......
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

SITTING HERE PINCHING MYSELF - England have taken the lead with 8 wickets still in hand - mind you, apparently the weather forecast isn't good
[email protected]

GrannyMac

I've been watching with my OH, great stuff! 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

JBR

Yes.  England have performed absolutely brilliantly today.
Well ahead already, with plenty of wickets in hand.

I said to Marge just now, as the programme came to an end, I sincerely hope our stupid captain doesn't declare again too soon just as he did on the very first match at Edgbaston.
If we can just keep it up, we can make it 2-2.

Then at The Oval, if we don't lose our skills today, we could actually win the Ashes after being 2-0 down.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Michael Rolls

edge of the seat stuff - but the weather forecast is a worry. Like you - I think that day ine declaration was a big mistake and effectively left England playing catch up
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

oh sod it! The weather has the last word, so Australia retain the Ashes, even if England win at the Oval. The guys must be totally gutted - Australia were there for the taking
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Very disappointing for England.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖