Another Referendum.

Started by Raven, July 01, 2023, 12:54:57 PM

« previous - next »

dextrous63

No need to emigrate....they're coming here for you to live amongst 😬

But I agree that the same old same old really isn't working for me anymore.    Who knows, maybe people will vote for what they actually want, for a change!

klondike

It seems that a lot of people may actually welcome all these new wonders and it is just us old farts that are out of step.

Ruthio

"If I was younger, I'd emigrate!"

Such miseries on here!
Read this and cheer up, thank your lucky stars you don't live in France or Germany!

There's so much for we British to be cheerful about
happy-sun
I was at private dinner recently, says Camilla Cavendish in the FT, where a bunch of business people were swapping "bleak predictions" about Britain. Eventually, a rich American piped up. "What the hell is wrong with you guys?" he barked.
He had lived and worked in London for years, he said, because "it's still the best city in the world". He has a point.
We Brits used to be associated with the Blitz-era stoicism of "Keep Calm and Carry On". Now, we seem to be in the grip of "national despondency", with headlines about "strikes, mortgages or crumbling bridges" cast as yet more evidence of this once-great nation's terminal decline.

But there's so much to be positive about. Our institutions didn't crumble under Boris Johnson and Liz Truss – "they triumphed over them".
We have our first Asian prime minister and his ethnicity is "simply not an issue"; in a recent poll, 80% of ethnic minority respondents said Britain was a better country for them than America, Germany or France.
The Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid vaccine was distributed to developing countries "at cost", and our researchers found four treatments which saved "millions of lives". We're well placed in emerging industries like AI.

Of course, we Brits have always had a "melancholic streak", preferring Keats to Wordsworth.
Pink Floyd weren't making it up when they sang "Hanging on in quiet desperation / Is the English way".

But those of us who "stare into the darkness" must remember: we're also the nation of Elton John belting out I'm Still Standing in a shiny gold suit.

klondike

Quote from: Ruthio on July 05, 2023, 11:39:35 AMin a recent poll, 80% of ethnic minority respondents said Britain was a better country for them than America, Germany or France.
Maybe so but it's worse in many important respects than it was in my youth. I had a mortgage on my first house at age 20 - less than 21 so my parents had to act as guarantors. Plenty of young people have zero chance of buying their own house ever. Probably thanks in large part to the housing shortage made far worse by all those happy smiling ethnic minorities arriving in ever increasing hundreds of thousands every year.

July 05, 2023, 12:28:32 PM
Quote from: Ruthio on July 05, 2023, 11:39:35 AMThe Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid vaccine was distributed to developing countries "at cost"
Best not shout about that. They also shoved two doses of it into me and now it is being withdrawn worldwide.
https://time.com/5947134/astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-stopped/

GrannyMac

You did well.  We were in our late twenties. Our kids were in their thirties. Partly because of lifestyle differences.  We also settled and had children at a much younger age than our children.  I expect my grandchildren to be more in line with their parents, but they also stand to benefit from us and their other grandparents' properties (unless we're all in expensive care homes).

Even if a referendum got the result that a huge majority wants to end illegal or irregular immigration, what could the government do to stop it? They already know its a hugely negative issue for voters.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

Illegal inward migration is but a drop in the ocean compared to those they let in legally. They should increase the minimum salary required to enter legally to a level where the tax they will pay covers the infrastructure costs of them plus all the hangers on that come with them.

That is possible. The following isn't...

As for the illegals I'd withdraw all the Border Force vessels bringing them in and if RNLI bring any let the RNLI find and fund all accommodation and keep. It's called a dangerous crossing. Let it be one then. BF should concentrate on catching any that land. They should preferably be housed in tented camps behind razor wire. If the do gooders want to share their homes with them instead then fine.

Michael Rolls

Talking to my masseuse yesterday (she is in her 50s) about house prices. Back in her day and mine (I'm 85, 86 this month) the average house price was around three and a half time the average salary. According to a site she looked at, the average house price is now eleven and a half times the average salary - if that is correct, no wonder there are problems.
Just checked the Office of National Statistics. In November 2022 the average salary was £27,756 and the average house price £285,000. Not quite a s bad as the site Tracey found – but bad enough. That's the average house costing 10.3 times the average salary
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Alex

"There's so much for we British to be cheerful about "  yes I imagine there is for Camilla Cavendish, Baroness Cavendish that it.  The rich American too !  I bet neither of them have to battle for a doctor's appointment or find a dentist.  I also imagine they live in posh areas, not areas full of illegal immigrants - yet !

Jacqueline

Our country as we knew it in our youth has gone, given away by our elected MP's and the like, I hate it, not my country anymore.

But to be honest I would be surprised if a referendum would bring the result we want, the young are brainwashed into accepting anything thee days and would probably vote in favour of more immigrants as they are told they need them, anyway they are taught the Windrush lot built Britain after the war and we couldn't have done without them, they also seem to think we have always been a multiracial country, they don't know what we know. 

Us oldies who know different are getting less and less, before long there will be nobody to remember being brought up in good old white Britain, we will be lost forever.

Cassandra

Quote from: Jacqueline on July 05, 2023, 09:30:36 PMOur country as we knew it in our youth has gone, given away by our elected MP's and the like, I hate it, not my country anymore.

But to be honest I would be surprised if a referendum would bring the result we want, the young are brainwashed into accepting anything thee days and would probably vote in favour of more immigrants as they are told they need them, anyway they are taught the Windrush lot built Britain after the war and we couldn't have done without them, they also seem to think we have always been a multiracial country, they don't know what we know.

Us oldies who know different are getting less and less, before long there will be nobody to remember being brought up in good old white Britain, we will be lost forever.

Globalist Democracy way makes sure they never lose anymore, by fixing the vote counters. The New World will be a very scary place to live in, George Orwell and Aldous Huxley were so right! The only good thing will be the 'young ones' having immigrant lodgers enforced upon them in their newly inherited homes, just like The Russian Revolution!

Happy times are a coming.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...