going abroad following the sun,

Started by alfred, June 18, 2023, 08:37:03 AM

« previous - next »

Diasi

Quote from: JBR on June 19, 2023, 11:10:50 AMIn the Telegraph yesterday, I read the suggestion that more and more 'rich people' (obviously not including me or Brian!) are choosing to emigrate and take their money with them.
Which is one of the reasons we're short of doctors & nurses.

Thousands of them are soaking up the sun in Australia, on triple their UK salaries.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

GrannyMac

My daughter earned a lot as a nurse in Saudi. If she hadn't had a child, and got married I think she'd have gone overseas to work again. Grandson, early teens, is already looking at options. He's a clever lad, he'll have choices. 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

JBR

Quote from: Diasi on June 19, 2023, 11:34:49 AMWhich is one of the reasons we're short of doctors & nurses.

Thousands of them are soaking up the sun in Australia, on triple their UK salaries.
Can't blame them.

June 19, 2023, 01:38:06 PM
Quote from: GrannyMac on June 19, 2023, 11:43:06 AMMy daughter earned a lot as a nurse in Saudi. If she hadn't had a child, and got married I think she'd have gone overseas to work again. Grandson, early teens, is already looking at options. He's a clever lad, he'll have choices.
Both Marge and I worked as radiographers in Saudi Arabia for a time.
Obviously, we made more money than working here, but it is not a particularly nice place to work there.

Not long before we got married (back home), we were at a party (with booze) in a private house.  Unfortunately, the people (ex-pats) who hosted the party permitted loud music that evening which they should have realised would only attract the Mutawa (religious police), especially as the front door was wide open.

Sure enough, the place was raided.
Fortunately, one of our friends felt a little ill just before the raid and asked us if we'd mind her going home (and her husband who had driven us there) with her, and off we went just in time.  Very lucky.

Half of the X-ray department at that hospital was sent home.
Numquam credere Gallicum