Greedy Glasgow

Started by Michael Rolls, June 09, 2023, 06:57:21 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

Even the wretched Khan can't compete with Glasgow. The ULEZ pentalities are eye-watering.

>>Set at national level by the Scottish Government for consistency across cities, the initial penalty charge for all non-compliant vehicles entering a LEZ in Scotland is £60.

A scheme surcharge however means that the penalty charge amount will double with each subsequent breach of the rules by the same vehicle detected in the same LEZ.<<

That wording is a big ambiguous. Does it mean each 'transgression' is charged twice the previous leve? in other words someone who has to enter the zone on five days could face £60, £120, £240, £480 and £960. Surely not!
Incidentally, whilst I have no figures for Glasgow, Khan's claims for the health effects of pollution in London have been totally rubished by Dr. James La Faun, the Telegraph columnist. He points out that the worst case of deaths from air pollution in London occurred in the Great Smog of 1952 when 4,00 people died from pollution caused respiratory failure. This killer is the level of Carbon Dioxide in the air. The level of CO2 in London is around 0.02% of the 1952 levels, yet Khan claims this much, much cleaner air will kill more that twice as many people as the 1952 smog.

Should have read further into the article re Glasgow

>>Penalty charge rates are capped at £480 for cars and light goods vehicles, and £960 for buses and HGVs.  Any further breaches of LEZ rules by the same vehicle detected in the same LEZ once this cap is reached will result in future PCNs issued at the capped penalty charge rate.<<
Madness!
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Diasi

It's just what the Scottish tourist industry needs.

I certainly wouldn't pay £60 to visit the place by car & also, dependent on the extent of the zones, it could catch tourists from England who need to get past Glasgow en-route to the West Coast areas.

My ex-wife & I used to go through Glasgow itself when we went to the West Coast areas.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

1955vintage

Those motorhomes have to be paid for somehow.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

Raven

All down to those Greens that are making the most of their luck in Power Sharing with the SNP.  :waiting:

Michael Rolls

wonder what it will do to Glasgow's tourist trade?
[email protected]

klondike

I expect all newer cars will comply. it's poor folk with old cars that will have problems.

Ashy

Glasgow would have to pay me to go there with or without a private car. These people literally have a death wish, they don't want our cars, they don't want farms, they want us to sit in the cold, and they want us to eat insects and larvae, I would describe these actions as those of an enemy.

There must be something in Scottish law that allows the public to rid themselves of these madmen.

Michael Rolls

Quote from: klondike on June 09, 2023, 10:32:37 AMI expect all newer cars will comply. it's poor folk with old cars that will have problems.
Exactly. I mentioned le Fanu; in his column he mentioned - he is clearly London based - that he had to spend £10,000 to replace his perfectly OK Golf with a new car to meet this stupid regulation. As he said, he could afford it - under protest - but many people won't able to so to do.
[email protected]

JBR

We were thinking of going to the Western Isles again.
Surely there is some way of avoiding Glasgow on the way there.  How much of Glasgow is covered by their rip-off system?
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Raven

It's the centre of Glasgow only, but you can easily bypass Glasgow on the motorway. Just keep coming up to Stirling and then turn over to Loch Lomond and The Trossachs, and take the coast road North. It's not a problem.

Glasgow's LEZ is approximately one square mile in size. It covers an area of the city centre bounded by the M8 motorway to the north and west, the River Clyde to the south and Saltmarket/High Street to the east. The M8 motorway is not included within Glasgow's LEZ.

Michael Rolls

judging by the antics of the wretched Khan, perhaps the qualifier 'yet' might be in the offing?
[email protected]

Diasi

Quote from: Raven on June 09, 2023, 11:41:31 AMIt's the centre of Glasgow only, but you can easily bypass Glasgow on the motorway. Just keep coming up to Stirling and then turn over to Loch Lomond and The Trossachs, and take the coast road North. It's not a problem.

Glasgow's LEZ is approximately one square mile in size. It covers an area of the city centre bounded by the M8 motorway to the north and west, the River Clyde to the south and Saltmarket/High Street to the east. The M8 motorway is not included within Glasgow's LEZ.
That's good to know, so the Erskine Bridge may be outside the zone.

We went through Glasgow as we stopped off there but we wouldn't have at 60 quid a time.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

I'm guessing this is for the London ULEZ but they are probably the same...

https://totalcarcheck.co.uk/ULEZ-Check

Michael Rolls

Just looked on Google Maps - there are an awful lot fo shops and the like in the area  - very densely populated. I should imagine there will be a lot of unhappy retailers - and hotels. So an overnight stay at a hotel in the zone, if I read the policy correctly, in a non complaint vehicle lands the car owner a bill of £180 - it's madness
[email protected]