Tourists Stay Away.

Started by Raven, April 25, 2023, 11:59:22 AM

« previous - next »

Raven

Some places are not wanting tourists to come anymore. If your thinking of having a break, check this out before deciding where to go.
You can also add all the towns n villages along the NC500, we are sick of their dirt, mess and selfish entitled parking. :angry:

https://www.timeout.com/travel/destinations-fighting-overtourism

Scrumpy

It is the tourist that keep these places going.. 
If you lose the tourist many shops/hotels will be forced to close..
Amsterdam.. !! All those (ladies) in the windows will go hungry...  :wink: :wink:
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Raven

It's not the tourists that spend here, it's the locals. The tourists in their big motor homes spend their food money in the big supermarkets before they come. The ones who take holiday cottages do the same but they do sometimes eat out or go on one of the sea coast trips.

Have a look at this FB Group, it will tell you how we feel about the NC500 or as we call it......"The Wacky Races."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/595039354532848

Ashy

In that case I won't consider the highlands as a holiday option. Pity because I have never been that far north.

Raven

Ashy, The Highlands used to be a great place to come on holiday and the tourists were made welcome and had a grand time. What ruined it was some company back in 2015 that started to promote the route as a great must do holiday. It's a single track local road for an awful lot of it and locals travel it in all weathers for work ect. Now they can't, and have to go miles out of their way to get to work on time, or to get to appointments. Then came the huge amercian style motor homes that are far too big for our roads, with them came the entitled, shelfish, arrogant lot who park where the hell they want, block access to places, light fires, use the place as a toilet and leave their mess anywhere and everywhere, refuse to use the proper camp sites overnight and argue with anyone who asks them to move, some of them even park up in Cemetary carparks and stop the locals from using the place to attend funerals and visit graves. I know this first hand as one day I couldn't go to the beach at Strathy with the dog as it was full of motor homes despite notices saying they are not to park there. Also they blocked one of the gates into my partners farm, we had a hell of a time getting them to shift. Now I am well aware that NOT ALL motor home owners are like this, but a lot are these days and they are the ones who put the locals backs up and ruin it for everyone else. It's the locals who have to go out daily and clean up after these pigs and take their rubbish to the nearest tip. They make our lives hell and we long for the tourists season to be over and we can get on with our lives as we should be able to. Have a read of this article and you may just start to understand.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-53713593

Raven

I took this video a while back when I was heading to Strathy Beach with the dog. As you can see there is hardly enough room for my car on the road, never mind huge camper vans. BUT, there was already one in the carpark when I got there and it had been there all night. This carpark belongs to the local cemetary but they let us use it to go to the beach. Not so long ago a funeral party came to a burial and couldn't get parked, as it was full of camper vans that refused to move. It ended up with the police having to move them, what a horrible thing for the family who were trying to say good bye to their loved one.

JBR

Quote from: Raven on April 25, 2023, 11:59:22 AMSome places are not wanting tourists to come anymore. If your thinking of having a break, check this out before deciding where to go.
You can also add all the towns n villages along the NC500, we are sick of their dirt, mess and selfish entitled parking. :angry:

https://www.timeout.com/travel/destinations-fighting-overtourism
I have the ideal solution, at least for places in this country.
Invite the government to make use of hotels in the area for you know who!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Alex

Then you really would have something to moan about Raven, be thankfull you're not over run with dinghy men. :cool:

Raven

Up in Caithness there is nothing for them, it really is the wild edge. But there are a lot of foreign faces and accents in Perth, a lot more than there used to be, so they are slowly creeping in.

Scrumpy

Tourist have always been responsible for spoiling areas of beauty.. Some don't know how to behave when visiting elsewhere..
Fortunately these creatures return home..
The (visitors) we experience further south unfortunately do not..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Raven

I don't understand the mentality of people who do this, why on earth come on holiday and go out of the way to make a mess, cause trouble and upset locals. Makes me wonder how they live at home and what their own back yard is like.

Diasi

Quote from: Raven on April 26, 2023, 09:17:37 AMI don't understand the mentality of people who do this, why on earth come on holiday and go out of the way to make a mess, cause trouble and upset locals. Makes me wonder how they live at home and what their own back yard is like.
The Derbyshire Peak District has the exact same problems, in fact more so as it's far more accessible than the Highlands & is the place where thousands of visitors can visit on a day trip.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

and leave a mess behind them!
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Raven