political interference?

Started by Michael Rolls, April 21, 2023, 08:44:15 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

yesterday's paper carries a story that SNP MSPs are commenting that Police Scotland should think very carefully about arresting Nicola Sturgeon because of her status, and should take into account the 'significance' of arresting her. The possibility of arresting her presumably comes from the fact that the party's audit committe (precise title is unclear in the report) comprises Murrell and Beattie - both arrested, questioned and released without charge pending further investigations, and Sturgeon herself.
Police Scotland have said that Sturgeon's status will have no bearing on any future action they may take. I wonder?
This is exactly the sort of thing that I feared when the idiotic decision was taken (by the SNP, of course) to merge Scotland's eight forces into one. I said at the time that it would be much easier to bring political pressure on a single Chief Constable than on eight.
On second thoughts, from the viewpoint of the SNP the decision was by no means idiotic.
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Jacqueline

No one should be above the law, status be damned!

klondike

She's probably got a good pot to fund the best barristers...  :grin:

Raven

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe she did nothing wrong, and haters are once again stirring up the pot.

klondike

We don't know if anybody did anything wrong yet.

I'm guessing only as I'm not interested enough to have read anything on this but I presume that the £600k collected in donations to fund a second referendum campaign has gone walkabout despite there having been no second referendum held.

We had a similar thing here with a £10m council funded football stand. No stand. No £10m. I can only assume there was no wrongdoing involved as nobody was prosecuted sfaik.

Raven

From what I can gather from my neighbour Ian, who is an SNP Councillor BTW, Nobody's helped themselves to the money. Yes it was donated for a 2nd referendum but for some reason it was lent elsewhere as an emergency loan, also Peter Murrell lent the party a large sum of his own money for what I don't know. What seems to be the problem is paperwork or lack of it for some reason.

Excuse the big gaps in my posts, I'm popping in n out of the kitchen peeling tatties and keeping an eye on frying onions. In the middle of making a big pot of Stovies for tonight's dinner and the freezer.. 🤭 🤫

Alex

" it was lent elsewhere as an emergency loan " 

Surely an official political party cannot just say the money went "elsewhere " ?   It's too big an amount to be lost down the back of the sofa don't ya think ?

Will Alex Salmond have the last laugh though ?

Raven

It will all come out in the wash and now that Nicola has left I see no reason why Alba and the SNP don't join forces. They both want the same thing, though at the moment it's not a good time to go after it, IMO only.
Politicians will always be surrounded with scandal and whispers, it's part of the package, I am paying no heed to this present nonsense, as I said it will all come out in the wash.

Ashy

To arrest someone and interrogate them in the hope that they will incriminate themselves seems wrong to me.

klondike

It might well be wrong but I suspect it is common.

Raven

Quote from: Ashy on April 21, 2023, 02:21:37 PMTo arrest someone and interrogate them in the hope that they will incriminate themselves seems wrong to me.

It's totally wrong. What happened to innocent untill proved guilty? These days it's guilty now try to prove your innocent. It's nothing more than a witch hunt by haters.

Cassandra

Quote from: Ashy on April 21, 2023, 02:21:37 PMTo arrest someone and interrogate them in the hope that they will incriminate themselves seems wrong to me.

In reality Ashy its what happens. Not only the police but Counsels practice this in court, it's called cross examination, in the interest of the pursuit of Justice.

Many 'high level' crims - incredibly clever and devious people, who arrogantly think themselves above the law are very often tripped up in court by the weakest link in the chain? Could be a lookout, or an escape driver breaking down under invigilation and spilling the truth from a well rehearsed script of lies.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...