rapist given community service

Started by Michael Rolls, April 03, 2023, 03:46:12 PM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-65164041

I can scarcely believe this. The rapist, now 21, raped a 13 year old girl when he was 17 (this is Scotland so old enough to vote other than in GEs). He has been sentenced to 270 hours of community service and placed on the sex offenders register for three years. Incredible.
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

He also said if the offender had been older he'd have got 4-5 years! For raping a child!  Disgraceful.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

1955vintage

As the father of a girl I would be happy with that sentence if I had been allowed to cut off his goolies with a blunt knife.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

dextrous63

Raven

Disgusting. What's wrong with our judges?

Scrumpy

That is not a punishment.. nor a deterrent..
I bet he will go on to offend again..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

JBR

Quote from: Raven on April 03, 2023, 06:13:10 PMDisgusting. What's wrong with our judges?
Probably child racists themselves.  😮
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

Quote from: Raven on April 03, 2023, 06:13:10 PMDisgusting. What's wrong with our judges?

What's wrong with Scotland's law?

From that article...

New guidelines for sentencing under 25s were introduced in Scotland in January 2022.

They made rehabilitation rather than punishment a primary consideration, recommending an "individualistic approach" taking into account their life experiences

I read the story expecting it to be a boyfriend and so a statutory rape as she was underage but it seems it was no such thing.

dextrous63

Where does the concept of sympathy for, or attempting to empathise with, the needs of the victims and their families come in this emphasis on "rehabilitation"?  Where does the concept of retribution as a means of potential deterrent come in?

morty

Quote: From the Judge ....  'Prison does not lead me to believe this will contribute to your rehabilitation."

But there is surely such a thing as punishment and sending out the message that it's unacceptable behaviour.
Poor girl ... if she expected any kind of justice that just quashed it. 
All this will do is deter young girls from reporting any rape or abuse ... and encourage people to dispense their own.

dextrous63

So, if the local community needs a bit of litter picking, graffiti cleaning, painting of community property etc, send your daughter out to be raped!!

Absolutely outrageous.

Alex

Donald Findlay KC, defending, told the sentencing that an appeal is planned.  I should hope so too !

Michael Rolls

well, as he is the defending KC, surely an appeal from that source would look to lessening the 'punishment'?
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Alex

Quote from: Michael Rolls on April 03, 2023, 08:49:42 PMwell, as he is the defending KC, surely an appeal from that source would look to lessening the 'punishment'?

This is where I read about it Michael   https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/sobbing-midlothian-rapist-walks-free-26624294

Perhaps they quoted the wrong name ?

klondike

Perhaps it was an appeal against conviction?

That report says this was a repeated series of attacks so the sentence seems to make no sense at all. It think it should be the crown appealing for a custodial sentence.