not a good day

Started by Michael Rolls, November 28, 2022, 07:56:18 PM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

There are roadworks in the lane, which have totally blocked it between the house and the cemetery, so I haven't been able to visit Veronica's grave. The roadworks mean that I have to do three sides of a sqaure to get into the village to pick up the paper. Then went to the park to have a walk only to discover the path was under several inches of water, and I didn't have wellies with me. Had a bit of a drive instead, then got home via the three sides, etc.. Tesco delivery over 20 minutes late, again because of the roadworks - no problem for me, but it meant the poor driver was late for all his subsequent deliveries. Then, to cap it all, having finished eating, decided to have a third glass of wine, but to take it into the lounge. Walked to the settee, caught my foot in the rug, fell headlong and sprayed the contents on a glass of red wine over a light grey carpet. Hit my head on the corner of the settee and gave myself a headache, but not hard enough to concuss myself. Scrubbed the carpet but don't know how well I may have succeeded until it dries.
Apart from that...
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Oh dear. Hope your headache has gone.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Michael Rolls

thanks, granny - just up, still got it, so downed a couple of paracetamol
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Michael Rolls

I will indeed - tempted to hide behind the settee!
[email protected]

Diasi

That's where carpet cleaners come into their own.

We've got two, a big, but heavy, upright one & a small portable spot cleaner for when it's not the whole carpet.

It could be worth getting one as it will remove any stains that hand scrubbing hasn't, even if they've dried in a for days.

Anyway, please take care of yourself.

We need the members.  :grin:
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Scrumpy

Oh Michael.. Wot u like.. !!!
 Such a waste of good wine... x
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Ashy

David Frost joke. A new cleaner has been developed which is so powerful that it removes stains. Also Woking, Ascot, Esher and Reading.

Get well soon Michael and good luck with the carpet. You need a dog.

Michael Rolls

thanks, folks - the headache has gone at last and I realised when surveying the 'evidence' I didn't trip over the rug as I thought - I hadn't realised an electric cable was across my path, and concentrating on not spilling the wine (!) I didn't see it.
Mike
[email protected]

klondike

You sure it wasn't the last glass from the bottle?  :grin:

Seriously though you need to take care about trip hazards. Falls can cause some big problems once past the first flush of youth and this is at least the second you've posted about.

Michael Rolls

you are so right! Actually, this is number three since September 2021 and the least damaging. Number one, I was out cold for an unknown period of time, number two left me a bit concussed for 24 hours or so. All this one has given me is a bit of a carpet burn om my forehead.
[email protected]

Scrumpy

Michael.. If this is your third trip up, why , oh why do you have an electric cable ' across your path' or a rug that could be a trip hazard..
We, as persons of a certain age, are prone to 'tripping' .. Even when there is nothing there to trip over..
 'Mummy.. never shuffle along.. pick your feet up and walk with confidence '.. Marnie said this to me... and I follow this rule.. It makes me feel good..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Michael Rolls

the cable is from an electric blanket. In order to save on electricity, I now turn the heating down before going to bed, which means that when I get up the lounge is pretty cold. As she became more and more disabled, Veronica really felt the cold so in addition to the heating (in winter we kept the whole house around 21-22C) she had a very lightweight electric blanket which she would put over herself. I now use it for the first 30 minutes or so after getting up until the room warms up, then I simply push it to one side on the settee. Hadn't realised that its cable had drooped down ready to ambush me!
The rug - well, that's what I call it, but it is actually a 12x10 loose carpet sitting on the boring fitted carpet. I have, as mentioned, tripped on it twice in just over a year - don't know why - it's been there for nearly 18 years and I've always managed to circumnavigate it in the past.
I'll just have to be even more careful in future, but thanks for your concern - very much appreciated
Mike
[email protected]

Alex

Mike can't you turn the heating to come on half an hour earlier ?  There's no point in having money in the bank and being bloody cold, spend a bit on yourself and be comfortable in your home  :upvote:

As for rugs, I've got them too, my lad keeps saying "Mother, you're really going to fall on these " but I don't move them, they cover up a load of sins on the fitted carpet. :grin: but I know they're a hazard.

Michael Rolls

my heating isn't timer controlled - has to be adjusted manually. Otherwise, believe me, I would!
[email protected]