Loyalty To The King ?

Started by Alex, September 14, 2022, 06:31:04 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

Deleted.

Diasi

Who's he?

Does his hand gesture show he's not fan of Royalty?

I assume the photo has some significance.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Scrumpy

I like King Charles.. He has a hard act to follow.. 
Good luck to him.
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

I'm no huge fan of the monarchy but I sure as hell prefer an apolitical heriditary monarchy to a political presidency. 

The Queen's very long reign is unlikely to be equalled for a very long time. She did a good job of it avoiding most controversy and provided us with stability. At the time of everything of any importance in most of our lives she was there as our Queen.

Worldwide she is just "The Queen" not "The Queen of..."

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on September 14, 2022, 08:06:41 PMI'm no huge fan of the monarchy but I sure as hell prefer an apolitical heriditary monarchy to a political presidency.

The Queen's very long reign is unlikely to be equalled for a very long time. She did a good job of it avoiding most controversy and provided us with stability. At the time of everything of any importance in most of our lives she was there as our Queen.

Worldwide she is just "The Queen" not "The Queen of..."
But this is where we Republicans disagree, the Queen has never been 'there' at anything of importance in my life & she's hasn't provided me with any stability, as her being an unelected Monarch / President for 70 years didn't stop any of the changes in Goverments, PMs, legislation, taxes & any of the other things that have affected my life.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

As I said I'm no huge fan but given everywhere has a head of state I'd rather that head of state was a figurehead than a politician. Politicians are rather too fond of things like their legacy which is far more likely to be something that costs me more money than supporting a monarchy for no useful purpose.

How many foreign tourists does Biden, Macron or von der Leyen attract.

GrannyMac

Indeed.  The queen has been far more benign than the type who put themselves forward to be elected heads of state.  Her duty has come first, they are driven by power and ego.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Raven

As it says in the old Scottish song, We'll never see her likes again.

Ashy

Quote from: GrannyMac on September 14, 2022, 10:39:45 PMIndeed.  The queen has been far more benign than the type who put themselves forward to be elected heads of state.  Her duty has come first, they are driven by power and ego.
Seconded, every word. There have been times when I wished she would have said "I'm not signing that" but, it is what it is.

1955vintage

I have always preferred the idea of Queen Elizabeth to President Blair.

And King Charles is also an improvement.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on September 14, 2022, 10:16:30 PMAs I said I'm no huge fan but given everywhere has a head of state I'd rather that head of state was a figurehead than a politician. Politicians are rather too fond of things like their legacy which is far more likely to be something that costs me more money than supporting a monarchy for no useful purpose.

How many foreign tourists does Biden, Macron or von der Leyen attract.

I used to have an article that debunked this myth as both the USA & other countries have more tourists than does the UK does, which suggests that peronalities aren't the reason for tourist visits.
  • United States - 79,300,000.
  • China - 65,700,000.
  • Italy - 64,500,000.
  • Turkey - 51,200,000.
  • Mexico - 45,000,000.
  • Thailand - 39,800,000.
  • Germany - 39,600,000.
  • United Kingdom - 39,400,000.

[email protected]

klondike

Exactly where did I say all the tourist came to see the Queen? It is certain that some do and I suspect more than would come to see a President.

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on September 15, 2022, 09:45:14 AMExactly where did I say all the tourist came to see the Queen? It is certain that some do and I suspect more than would come to see a President.

They may well come see the buildings, but I'm not sure what percentage actually got to see the Queen.

Maybe our London members can tell us how many times they saw her.

Anyway, a poll, for what it's worth, has found that 57% support King Charles 111.
[email protected]

Scrumpy

Considering we are but a small island we do quite well with tourist visiting us..
The Queen attracted many, many tourist.. as do royal residence..
People from all over the world are queuing  to pay their last respects to a woman that they truly love. 
This isn't just mass hysteria as we have seen in the past.. This is genuine..
 When I lived in Australia.. and people knew I lived near London I was asked had I seen the Queen.. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Alex

Quote from: Scrumpy on September 15, 2022, 11:45:58 AMConsidering we are but a small island we do quite well with tourist visiting us..
The Queen attracted many, many tourist.. as do royal residence..
People from all over the world are queuing  to pay their last respects to a woman that they truly love. 
This isn't just mass hysteria as we have seen in the past.. This is genuine..
 When I lived in Australia.. and people knew I lived near London I was asked had I seen the Queen..

When I was in New York I was asked if I knew John Lennon :grin:  :grin:

Sorry, shouldn't joke on this topic, slapped legs for me.   I think most tourists come to see the buildings in London, the Tower , Buck House etc. but there's always the chance you might see the Queen.   Same in Scotland so many beautiful places particularly in Edinburgh.  Not forgetting the Lakes, Cotswolds etc, etc.  Although I think the Queen was wonderful and I'm so sad at her passing, the tourists will still come.