How to cope in a disaster.

Started by Scrumpy, August 19, 2022, 07:32:08 PM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

The Mayor of London is advising Londoners how to cope in a thunderstorm.  'Don't stand under a tree.'
Radio 2 had an expert on who advised us how to prepare for a flash flood.. 'Put sacking down at the door... Move photos to a higher shelf.. and use your trestle table to stand your kitchen table on.'
Can you imagine how those who lived through the last war would react at Reading and Listening to crap like this. !!

Have we become a nation of softies who have to be told how to behave should a ( disaster) arise..!!
Bombs falling from the sky is a disaster..not bloody rain ..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Jacqueline

Shame he can't solve London's crime problems.

Ashy

But he has put diversity and inclusion on the agenda.

Alex

Quote from: Jacqueline on August 19, 2022, 08:39:11 PMShame he can't solve London's crime problems.

He's suggesting London's recent spate of violent crime is due to longer days, school holidays and summer heatwaves. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Scrumpy

Oop's !!  I omitted Lord from his title..

He sounds like one of those parents who always blames something/someone else for their naughty children..
When the truth is his (children) are out of control and breeding more the same..
London has lost it's glamour .. it's excitement and above all it's morals..

Jacqueline

Scrumpy, the London of my youth was a lovely place, it was full of glamorous people, lovely department stores, even Harrods has lost it now, so much tat, expensive tat though, I loved Liberty's even that has gone downhill.  Selfridges was one of my favorites (my grandad did some of the fancy Iron work on the frontage and lifts (they are now in the Barbican Museum).

Once you could visit the sights in comfort now it's all so crowded, in the daytime you could travel on the tube without being packed in like a sardine, now you'll be lucky to even hear English spoken.  It is a frightening experience travelling on the tube at night, the last time I did it was 20 odd years ago and I swore never again, gangs mostly black, shouting and swearing running up and down the carriage, everyone keeping their eyes down so not to draw any attention to themselves, very intimidating and scarey.  It was safer on the streets in the blackout in WW11 than it is now.

When I first met my husband in 1965, we would often drive up to London in the evening, park the car (yes you could park your car back then in central London) we'd walk around Soho, go into a pub, get something to eat, Cinema, Theatre, those were the days. We would walk around with little fear of crime.

Later when the kids were young in the 70's, on a Sunday we would go to Cromwell Road, Kensington park the car by the Museums and spend the afternoon in the natural History, V & A  or Science Museums, they were free to get in at that time, we didn't have much money and the kids loved them. That was the first time I ever saw a woman in a burka, we all stood and stared, obviously rich arabs coming out of a South Kensington Hotel.

I find it so sad that my Capital City has been lost to me now, it could be any foreign city anywhere.  Generations of my family are buried there mores the pity, what on earth would they think of a muslim London Mayor, they didn't see it coming what has happened to the poor old place.  But I won't ever go back  there again it makes me cry.

Scrumpy

So very sad..
My mum was a Bethnal Green girl.. She wouldn't recognise the place now.
The years before lockdown would see me and another hop on a train.. ride the tube and visit the places you have mentioned..  No more.

August 20, 2022, 03:51:21 PM
Even Croydon.. just up the road, is a no-go area..
Fortunately Reigate is too posh for change.. Property prices and rental are out of many people's price range.. This does help to keep visitors away.
Am I Posh !! No, no.. just lucky I guess..
But even I love getting down to Devon..

Countryman

Quote from: Jacqueline on August 20, 2022, 03:30:33 PMwhat on earth would they think of a muslim London Mayor

Isn't that to be championed? London is a global city that welcomes people from all over the world. Politics aside, we should be proud that Londoners have encompassed a mayor of Muslim faith. Naturally, people born in the 20s might be shocked, but they'd probably be shocked by smart phones, driverless cars and the internet!

Scrumpy

I neither care what religion or colour skin a person is..
What I do care about is the fear that is present when travelling to these places..
Something that never was..

Countryman

Alex

Quote from: Scrumpy on August 20, 2022, 04:03:40 PMI neither care what religion or colour skin a person is..
What I do care about is the fear that is present when travelling to these places..
Something that never was..

I don't care about a person's colour, but I do care if they're muslim. We're being taken over by muslims and before long, that odd burqa or niqab that drew attention will become the norm.  What an ugly and oppressive outfit it is too in comparison to the beautiful colourful saris Indian women often wear here. 

Africa is home to nearly one-third of the Muslim population in the world, and hundreds of Africans are landing on our shores daily. It scares me.

Jacqueline

Quote from: Countryman on August 20, 2022, 03:58:00 PMIsn't that to be championed? London is a global city that welcomes people from all over the world. Politics aside, we should be proud that Londoners have encompassed a mayor of Muslim faith. Naturally, people born in the 20s might be shocked, but they'd probably be shocked by smart phones, driverless cars and the internet!
London was my home once, back in the 50's and 60's it was great, then it wasn't a global city welcoming half the world, and the dross from half the world from my experience.  Can't I have a place to call home? the rest have somewhere to go back to I don't.

Proud of a muslim Mayor? and a useless one too, are you for real?????? Do you live there?

Ashy

Quote from: Jacqueline on August 20, 2022, 10:23:51 PMCan't I have a place to call home? the rest have somewhere to go back to I don't.
Exactly how I feel. My old town is like Islamabad now. Why did our politicians do this to us?

Scrumpy

Quote from: Jacqueline on August 20, 2022, 10:23:51 PMCan't I have a place to call home? the rest have somewhere to go back to I don't.

I do believe that Jacqueline has hit the nail fully on the head..