Main Menu

Started by Ashy, July 17, 2022, 07:09:41 PM

« previous - next »

Ashy

1976 is the year the sun came out in summer. As well as houses falling down where the ground opened up, aerosols exploded on the shelves of hairdressers.

Nobody panicked.

Winter returned as normal afterwards.

Raven

It sure will, along with huge heating bills.  :boo:

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

-Oy-

1976 was mid 30's at most. This is low 40s - quite a difference.

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

Ashy

It all depends where you measure it and what you measure it with.

GrannyMac

Its a pity we can't store this warmth and hoard it for winter.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

klondike

Quote from: -Oy- on July 17, 2022, 08:35:38 PM1976 was mid 30's at most. This is low 40s - quite a difference.

The 1976 heatwave lasted a couple of weeks continuously though rather than just a couple of days - quite a difference too and I'd suggest a more significant one.

Ashy

Other things happened in 1976. What a year that was. Pol Pot came to power with his great reset agenda, Legionnaires' Disease was discovered, I danced at Scamps Disco, and Denis Howell was appointed minister of droughts by the prime minister, James Callaghan.

Michael Rolls

whereupon, if I remember correctly, it rained! Inspired appointment!
[email protected]

Ashy

I think it took a few rain dances and shared baths first, then the climate finally got the message.

Ashy

Early in the year we had unprecedented hurricanes, Concorde started commercial flights, and sadly  production of the Hillman Imp ended.

Britain was at war with Iceland and the IRA, nobody had heard of the Falkland Islands, and we bought our gas from the gas board.

klondike

Quote from: Ashy on July 18, 2022, 10:47:41 AMand sadly  production of the Hillman Imp ended.

I had two. Proof that I am the eternal optimist.  :grin:

Ashy

Then Fords built one round the other way and called it the Fiesta.

Jacqueline

I remember we had a holiday in Wales (we were living in north London still then) in 1976.  We spent every day on the beach, we didn't leave until it was getting dark it was lovely, but I really don't remember it being so hot as it is now, or maybe it's because I was younger and didn't feel it so much.