monthly sayings,

Started by alfred, June 13, 2022, 02:16:29 PM

« previous - next »

alfred

on the first morning of a new month, my wife will say, three white rabbits three  times,

Q;    does any one know where this expression came from and do you remember any other expressions for what ever  the   reason,

Raven

Never heard that before.:hmm:
I have no sayings for things, just old highland words that I've used all my life, and a lot of people have forgotten or never heard of them.  Like, Nyaff or Scunner.

klondike

I've heard of it. I think my mother sometimes said rabbits rabbits rabbits at the start of a month. 

There is also Pinch Punch first day of the month which has to be said first and before midday.

It's good to moan.

Raven

Never heard of that one either. :embarrassed:

Dayjo

"White rabbits". First words spoken, on the first of the month. Goes back to the beginnings of my memories. Bringing good luck....
 On waking up, (if I remember), I lie quiet. Until Christine has said something else, first..  :wink:  :smiley:

As you slide down the banister of life.
May the splinters never point in the wrong direction.

Scrumpy

That can be a bummer Dayjo if your not talking to one another..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Dayjo

Quote from: Scrumpy on June 13, 2022, 08:43:16 PMThat can be a bummer Dayjo if your not talking to one another..
:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Aye.... It does happen. When I'm in Coventry....  :rolleyes:
As you slide down the banister of life.
May the splinters never point in the wrong direction.

Michael Rolls

Pinch, punch, first of the month and no returns - was our inevitable greeting, then whichever one who had been slow off the mark would respond 'white rabbits'. Not a clue where it came from - Veronica and the children used to practise it before I knew them
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Jacqueline

From my childhood too, not something I have carried on though.

Scrumpy

We were tough round these parts.. 
When ,as kids, we said 'Pinch, punch first day of the month'.. we would answer''
 'A pinch and a kick, for being so quick.'

Alex

I don't remember any of those sayings.

klondike

Quote from: Scrumpy on June 14, 2022, 11:26:07 AMWe were tough round these parts..
When ,as kids, we said 'Pinch, punch first day of the month'.. we would answer''
 'A pinch and a kick, for being so quick.'
That's why you had to be quick with the No returns of any kind...

I'd forgotten most of this stuff.

It's good to moan.

Scrumpy

That's right.. I had forgotten about 'No returns'..