How much thought do they give this stuff?

Started by klondike, October 04, 2022, 08:48:00 AM

« previous - next »

Raven

As I've said all along...I'm Simply not interested in having an electric car....EVER. :sad:

Alex

OR they may call the whole thing off !   :cool:

Michael Rolls

too many egos involved, but I wouldn't be surprised at 'modifications to the timetable'
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Jacqueline

How the heck can we replace all the petrol and deisel car's in less than 8 years? and where would the electric needed come from if we all changed to electric overnight?  We will all be walking in the dark.

Ashy

The more we think about it, the more we can see that nobody has thought this through. Worse still, they probably think they have.

klondike

The current bunch will have moved on in 8 years so they don't give a rat's fart about missing the target. What they have forgotten is that the traditional home for failed politicians, the EU, is now out of their reach. 

Ashy

But they still have the house of lords and the egg marketing board.

klondike

Not nearly as lucrative though. Only £300 a day for HoL and you actually have to sign in to get that pittance.

Michael Rolls

That is my view - about the current politicians able to blame their successors -as well. There is no way all existing vehicles can possibly be replaced by 2030, but to be fair, that is not what is being said - just no more petrol nor diesel vehicles to be sold after that date. There is no doubt that the sale of electric vehicles is accelerating, but how many will there be on the road by 2030? Currently 570,000 and rising. Interestingly, the RAC estimate is very different to the figure (570,00) quoted in the Telegraph. The RAC reckons currently that there are 462,000 'pure electric' and 384,500 plug-in hybrids - which if correct makes the present situation considerably worse than I promulgated earlier, based on the Telegraph article.
Also, the RAC estimate of public charging points is far lower - at 25,000 - than my equated figure of 38,000 - so again - even worse - that's 30 vehicles per charging point - TWICE the Telegraph figure.
The RAC graph shows that the number of EVs has roughly doubled in the last two years. Even if that rate of acceleration is maintained (which I find hard to believe) by 2030 that would represent some 16 million vehicles - half the size of the present fleet. If the Telegraph article's figure of 5:1 vehicles:chargers, which seemed to be seen as reasonable (the article doesn't actually say that) that will require 3.2 million chargers by 2030, starting from a current figure of 25,000. that represents 400,000 points per year!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]