Nowt as strange as folk..

Started by Scrumpy, November 16, 2023, 02:04:37 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

" You have to die of something and I'd rather have either of those than something slow or maybe dementia."

So true  :upvote:

klondike

The argument of course is that neither will necessarily kill you but could leave you in a very sorry state.

I found I was getting very crumbly and could hardly get up after an hour watching TV. I mentioned it to a neighbour and she asked "Have you just started taking statins?". I sid "Yes", She said "Ditch them". I did and the problem went away. The doctor pestered. I agreed to try a different tablet. Very quickly I started getting some rather odd symptoms - like a leg had been splashed with ice cold water. Happened several times. Nothing on google. I stopped taking the statins. The odd symptom vanished.

I do feel quite crumbly when I first get up in the morning but it doesn't take long to clear and hardly appears at all when getting up from a long time sitting.

Everybody needs to make their choices. If statins have no ill effects it makes sense to take them. They didn't suit me so I don't.

Raven

We have been taking a wee bottle of Yakult Light every morning for a few years now.

Scrumpy

I keep thinking about trying those Ginger shots.. I think they are called MOJU..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Alex

I've bought Ginger shots from Lidl chiller section.  I love anything ginger, but they're not to everyone's taste.    99 pence.

Sorry this is a bit big  !!!! 

Cassandra

My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

GrannyMac

I won't labour the point, but statins have saved my OHs life. He's taken them for over 25 years.  And saved one of his brother's. The oldest died in his 40s. My son and daughter also take them.

OH had to try different ones due to side effects, OK on the latest one.  
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Michael Rolls

been taking statins fro years - TBH no idea if they are good or not
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

JBR

I have been taking statins (among other things) for quite a long time.  No problems.  No side effects.
I'm not sure why the doc told me to start taking them.  I just do what I'm told...
and he's paying.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

They probably reduce chloesterol. They certainly produce a nice little earner for GPs. Statisticlly they do offer a chance of reducing heart attacks and strokes.

https://www.patrickholford.com/advice/how-gps-are-paid-to-prescribe-ineffective-drugs/

From 2000 to 2010 statin prescriptions went from 15 million to 70 million with no evidence of benefit for the elderly, says LeFanu. Writing in the Mail, LeFanu points out that a recent review concludes 'Despite their widespread use, evidence for the effectiveness of statins in the elderly remains unclear.' So far the only clinical trial in Britain that has specifically examined the drug's effects in the elderly found that men were just 1 per cent less likely to have a fatal heart attack. There was no advantage for older women at all.'

You'll need a sub to see past the headline...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/05/21/gps-paid-handing-statins-puts-patients-review-finds/#:~:text=NHS%20bosses%20currently%20offer%20GP,safety%20and%20efficacy%20of%20statins.

NHS bosses currently offer GP practices financial incentives to boost the rate of patients handed the cholesterol-lowering medication. It followed a decrease in prescribing due to controversy surrounding the safety and efficacy of statins.

GrannyMac

There's an inherited condition where cholesterol can't be controlled by diet and exercise.  When my OH had the heart attack that got him hospitalised, he was just over 11 stone, and had been living on oatmeal, vegetables, fish etc., to try and reduce his levels, which were very high.  It didn't work.  His brother (the one that survived) had stents inserted in his early 40s.  My OH needed a 3xbypass at 50. His heart was already pretty damaged. 

I've also read reports that taking statins can reduce the chances of dementia. My mum had that, I'm trying to avoid it, so I'll keep taking my low dose of statins.

Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

Fair enough but it seems rather than targeting these drugs at those who actually need them HMG want to give them to as many people as possible as they are cheap and they don't suit everybody.

JBR

Quote from: GrannyMac on November 22, 2023, 07:34:06 PMI've also read reports that taking statins can reduce the chances of dementia. My mum had that, I'm trying to avoid it, so I'll keep taking my low dose of statins.

I'm glad you said that, Granny.
As I mentioned, I take statins cos the doc told me to.

I had no idea about them reducing the chances of dementia, but I'm glad I take them now because I do tend to forget things very often, to Marge's chagrin.  Fortunately, I haven't yet forgotten Marge's name yet (actually it isn't Marge, it's Leslie - yes spelt like the male version.  Her dad's fault.)
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Michael Rolls

seems a sort of scattergun approach
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Scrumpy

Quote from: JBR on November 22, 2023, 11:18:56 PMI'm glad you said that, Granny.
As I mentioned, I take statins cos the doc told me to.

Marge's name yet (actually it isn't Marge, it's Leslie - yes spelt like the male version.  Her dad's fault.)

JBR..   So, does Leslie wear the trousers in your house.. ? :grin:
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..