Mother Nature Fights Back.

Started by Raven, May 09, 2024, 09:35:24 AM

« previous - next »

JBR

Quote from: Raven on Today at 11:04:27 AMWe have one up here beside us.... Well, along the coast a wee bit. It's proper name is "Dounreay" but it's mostly called "The Blot"
The beach "Sandside" it overlooks is lovely, but I seldom went there for our walk.

It might be a 'blot', but it's providing most of your reliable electricity.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Raven

Not anymore it's not.
Dounreay was the UK's centre of fast reactor research and development from 1955 until 1994 and is now Scotland's largest nuclear clean-up and demolition project.

klondike

I'm in favour but there is always that nagging little voice asking me why are they always sited in remote locations. Then rationality answers because of NIMBYs and the planning system.

There have been accidents but apart from Chernobyl there has been little in the way of widespread contamination or casualties.

If we are going to continue in a world of comfort with increasing energy demand and not return to one of hunter gatherers rubbing boy scouts together or whatever it is you do to light a campfire then nuclear will need to form part of the mix of energy sources.

Raven

This is why I don't go to Sandside.

JBR

Quote from: Raven on Today at 11:21:29 AMNot anymore it's not.
Dounreay was the UK's centre of fast reactor research and development from 1955 until 1994 and is now Scotland's largest nuclear clean-up and demolition project.
Well it was worth it then!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire