How old is your Boiler?

Started by Mups, October 08, 2026, 10:53:40 PM

« previous - next »

Mups

I think they say we should replace our boilers about every 10 years?  Is that about right?

Mine is a Vaillant combi, and nearly 20 years old. 
I must say it has always worked brilliantly though, and only ever had one problem.
Then today it suddenly conked out,  with an F28 Fault problem showing on the dial.
I had to boil the kettle to get some hot water for washing up tonight,  but hopefully my shower will still work in the morning as it doesn't run off the boiler.

So it made me wonder -  how old are other people's boilers here? 
 What make is yours,  and would you recommend it?
Have  you always  had  it serviced annually?

The  Engineer is coming tomorrow and I am dreading what he might find.

Raven

Don't you pay a monthly breakdown to the company that do the safety check each year. If you need a new boiler or anything else the monthly payments should cover it...... Don't they?

Mups

Quote from: Raven on October 08, 2026, 10:56:30 PMDon't you pay a monthly breakdown to the company that do the safety check each year. If you need a new boiler or anything else the monthly payments should cover it...... Don't they?
No, Raven,  I didn't know anything about any boiler scheme?  No one has ever offered anything like that to me?
It will cost a lot of money if I have to replace it, won't it.    :worried:

What sort is yours and how old is it?

klondike

Combi boilers are more efficient and more complicated than the old style ones where the burners had to be cleaned each year. There's more to go wrong and the newer ones are getting more efficient all the time.

Lots of companies offer boiler guarantee schemes that include an annual service. The trouble I found was that they'd start cheap and shoot up in price each year. They often won't touch older boilers too.

My current boiler is mayber 2 years old. The one I replaced was maybe 12

It seems you had a similar issue last year and I posted this
https://letschat.club/index.php?msg=160646

There's an affiliate link in there. If you like the look of them use that link to buy and you get money off and I get something too.

muddy

Ours is 8 years old we have it serviced every year ( I think ) 

Raven

Thurso and surrounding area is not connected to the national high-pressure gas transmission pipeline, too far north. We are all electric and still have an immersion heater in the cupboard, the fire has a back boiler that heats the water.The houses here are well over 100 years  old, It's old fashioned living up here I'm afraid. If we were able to get onto the gas then believe me I'd do all I could to get Dunc to change over to it.
My house in Perth has a boiler around 10 years old and it gets a service every year, it's not used much so should last a while yet. Like yours it's a Vaillant comb.

Scrumpy


My boiler is around 10/15 years old..
Had it serviced a few weeks back.. Everything is fine..
I do have cover for boiler.. pipes.. leaks.. radiators.. taps..etc..
I prefer to pay a cover fee then search for a plumber etc.. and wait for them to show...
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

I'm OK with leaks but regulations don't allow me to poke around in boilers these days so that's why I took the boiler deal I did. I do have some sort of emergency call out in from the house insurance but I don't think it covers much in the way of money. Never used it so no idea if it is any use at all.

JBR

My old boiler is 65 years old now, but she's still performing adequately.
Numquam credere Gallicum

Mups

#9
Quote from: JBR on Yesterday at 10:06:55 AMMy old boiler is 65 years old now, but she's still performing adequately.
Prepare yourself for a battering when Marj sees that.   :smiley:


Yesterday at 10:25:29 AM
Quote from: klondike on October 08, 2026, 11:42:12 PMCombi boilers are more efficient and more complicated than the old style ones where the burners had to be cleaned each year. There's more to go wrong and the newer ones are getting more efficient all the time.

Lots of companies offer boiler guarantee schemes that include an annual service. The trouble I found was that they'd start cheap and shoot up in price each year. They often won't touch older boilers too.

My current boiler is mayber 2 years old. The one I replaced was maybe 12

It seems you had a similar issue last year and I posted this
https://letschat.club/index.php?msg=160646

There's an affiliate link in there. If you like the look of them use that link to buy and you get money off and I get something too.

Thanks Klondie,   I  am just going off to me exercise class in a  mo,  but will have a read through that when I get back.   

klondike

Wait and see what the boilerman says first. My son's boiler is still hanging on. I replaced mine because the wireless thermostat broke and they had been discontinued. Replacing it would have been very expensive and the boiler also had another fault that didn't stop it working but meant I had to constantly top it up. With the £7,500 grant I did look at getting a heat pump but Octopus said they didn't do one big enough which told me running costs would be very high so I got a new boiler.

The link just takes you into getting a quote. I chose to go for their 10 year deal which covers any breakdowns and servicing rather than buying one and paying  for it to be fitted. Makes it simple - just one place to contact if it does fail and everything included in the monthly charge for those10 years.

Dextrous63

I've got a vaillant combi (approx 15 years old) and pay for a service contract.

It's got a few years left in it yet.

Wait for the engineer to say what's what.  Could be a simple sensor that needs replacing.  

Mups

Sometimes things seem never ending, don't they.   Everything comes at once.

I have only just paid for the car's MOT and annual service,  and more Vet's fees,  and now my car insurance expires at the start of November,  followed by House Insurance early December all on top of Christmas too.
Boiler service was due early December,  but now I've got the breakdown and possibly a new boiler on top of all that.

About the only thing that would cheer me up at the mo,  is either George Clooney or Richard Gere come  and  take me somewhere nice.   Yes! smiley 65

P.S. 
Half an hour late so far,  and boiler man hasn't turned up.

Alex

I've got a Baxi boiler, it's not a combi but it was installed in 2010 so it's doing well.  At the time I was told a combi boiler wouldn't suit because of poor water pressure, I have no idea what that meant, I just went with what the engineer said.
I had a cover plan that started off at £9.99 p.m. but went up and up each year, so I eventually cancelled it.  Plus when an engineer came, he had no idea what the previous engineer had done so no continuity.  I've now got a plumber/gas fitter who services the boiler every year, charges me £50. 

klondike

£50 sounds a bargain. Especially with an old one as it probably needs the burner given a clean and maybe the pilot light adjusting. All they do with a new combi is stick a gas analyser in the flue, turn on your hot tap and scratch their backside while preparing a bill for £100 and running up your gas and water bills. Nothing to take to bits. Money for old rope but needed to keep the warranty valid.