Standing on one leg

Started by Flying Bomb, Today at 08:28:13 AM

« previous - next »

Flying Bomb

The ability to stand one one leg gets worse as we age but is a good indicator of
the risks of falling as we age.
If you use Google Ai searches you will find much info.
I am 93 and after one leg training my brain over many weeks, I can stand
on my right leg for 60 seconds and the left leg for 30 seconds.
These results are exceptional for someone of my old age.

If you wish to try standing on one leg PLEASE make sure you have a firm surface you can get hold of if you loose balance.........as you will!
You will wobble but that is training the brain how to compensate.
So use google AI to learn about this.  Also walking backwards and walking tip to toe too.

muddy

Excellent 
It's also a sign of longevity ! 

Mups

Sounds like you are doing well for 93,  FB,  but stay safe won't you.
I go to an Otago class every week.  I like the classes, not only for guidance,  but the social side as well  - plus there is somebody there if you did fall!

It is all exercises for older people and we do a lot of balance exercises there.   
We  do the walking backwards,  walking on tip toes and then on heels,  standing and sitting down correctly,  weaving in and out of things,  all sorts.

We've gotta keep trying, ey.   :smiley:


Flying Bomb

Glad Mups, you are doing the right things to keep fit and balanced. I once saw someone running backwards at speed but then were young :-)
Keep up the good work and stay young

GrannyMac

That's terrific FB!  When I had a knee replacement last year the physio made me stand on one leg, and I kept doing it for a while.  I must get back into the habit.  I get my exercise going to aqua aerobics classes, you can move so much in water and its painless.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

crabbyob

a friend of mine was bragging he had put his shorts on by standing on one leg.. i was amazed, not that he had suceeded but that he had even tried such a feat....i do it sat down easily without bursting a blood vessel...people tell me i dont look my age... well thats because i take grannies advice and as often as is possible i dont act my age... we all march to our own drummers, i wish mine was a jazz drummer but no hes just an ordinary guy... i love hearing folks taking exercise i have been active for most of my life but Covid [i didnt catch it and it never caught me] but the restrictions cost me so much, i love golf, but that time off the course cost me dearly... then two  years ago a friend had a bad accident driving, he said it wasnt his fault the other driver was driving too fast... it made me stop to think.. and being an idiot the day i was leaving to go to India i gave my car away [bloody fool] now i have to walk to the supermarket [but get a taxi home] i cant believe how difficult it is for me to walk... lol.. i am 85... i have been a boxer, a footballer [till i was 40] then i played golf.. now i watch tv [firestick] and hit these keyboards...it is important that we recognise our limits but do everything possible to push them, because when its gone its gone

klondike

I've seen that mentioned elsewhere. I'm not that good at it and must have a practice. If I can stand at all at 93 I'll count that as a win  :smiley:

Scrumpy


Well done Flying Bomb... well done..
 
Some stand on one leg.. cleaning teeth..
I don't.. but I can stand on one leg for a while.. some days I wobbly more than others..

Crabby suggested a step (gadget) a few years back.. I still have it and can still use it..
I certainly would not let my car go... even if I seldom use it..
I do try and walk where possibly... but.... I live in a valley..
If only every road in life was flat and level.. :clap: :yahoo: .
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

JBR

I had to try it!
Much wobbling, but Left leg 35 seconds, Right leg 28 seconds.
Of course, I have not been practising.  I might remember to do that now. 😉 
(Or perhaps not!)
Numquam credere Gallicum

klondike

Are we supposed to stop the watch when we start falling or when we are on the floor?

Vlad

My legs are independent of my body, they sometimes go to places that the rest of my body were not made aware of. They do seem to be attracted to pubs.

Alex

Well done FB, I'll have to give that a go !

JBR

I admit to usually avoid standing on one leg, but unfortunately I find it necessary when I am obliged to walk up stairs.
Numquam credere Gallicum