BBC Licence Fee to Be Replaced By Internet Surcharge

Started by morty, Yesterday at 04:50:17 PM

« previous - next »

JBR

Quote from: Raven on Today at 10:42:50 AMThere's also the over 70s pensioners who get a free TV Licence because they're on Pension Credits. They're going to kick up a stink, and who can blame them.
Although I'm over 70, I'm not on Pension Credit.
If it were down to me, I wouldn't pay the BBC Tax, but t'wife wants to do it.  I might occasionally watch a BBC programme, but I'd keep the blinds down and turn the telly off if a knock on the door!
Numquam credere Gallicum

klondike

I'm pretty sure it was free for 75+ until they stopped it except for those on pension credit. If they go for some universal fee then it would be easy enough to exclude those on pension credit.

Dextrous63

Quote from: klondike on Today at 12:28:31 PMI'm pretty sure it was free for 75+ until they stopped it except for those on pension credit. If they go for some universal fee then it would be easy enough to exclude those on pension credit.
They could, of course, tweak any inheritance tax and get the money back retrospectively.

klondike

I suspect those on pension credit won't be paying any inheritance tax. At least at current rates but after the budget.....

Mups

But what about those who's telly is nothing to do with any internet company?

I am with Virgin on the internet,  but my telly isn't.

Dextrous63

The idea is that if you have an internet connection, you have to pay towards the BBC irrespective of whether you ever watch it on your tv or computer.

I wonder how they will deal with those who have unlimited data on their mobiles and use them as a hotspot to watch TV.  I sometimes use this by taking a spare Firestick and connect to my Amazon account via my phone.

Mups

Quote from: Dextrous63 on Today at 02:59:19 PMThe idea is that if you have an internet connection, you have to pay towards the BBC irrespective of whether you ever watch it on your tv or computer.

I wonder how they will deal with those who have unlimited data on their mobiles and use them as a hotspot to watch TV.
  I sometimes use this by taking a spare Firestick and connect to my Amazon account via my phone.
Ey?    Shows how thick I am -  I didn't even know I could watch telly on my phone!   :smiley:
Not that I'd want to anyway.    A small phone screen wouldn't be the same as a t.v. screen. 

Dextrous63

Quote from: Mups on Today at 03:03:45 PMEy?    Shows how thick I am -  I didn't even know I could watch telly on my phone!  :smiley:
Not that I'd want to anyway.    A small phone screen wouldn't be the same as a t.v. screen.

There are ways to connect your TV to your phone and watch things as per usual on the big screen.

morty

Quote from: Mups on Today at 03:03:45 PMEy?    Shows how thick I am -  I didn't even know I could watch telly on my phone!  :smiley:
Not that I'd want to anyway.    A small phone screen wouldn't be the same as a t.v. screen.

Same here ...I haven't a clue what they mean Mups ... but then I'm still only becoming proficient with a simple call & text phone. 

Dextrous63

Quote from: morty on Today at 05:15:32 PMSame here ...I haven't a clue what they mean Mups ... but then I'm still only becoming proficient with a simple call & text phone.
Two cups, a piece of string and now a carrier pigeon.  Excellent.

morty

There's nowt wrong with a piece of string and two cups if that's all you can fathom  [2040]

Dextrous63

Quote from: morty on Today at 05:40:26 PMThere's nowt wrong with a piece of string and two cups if that's all you can fathom  [2040]
Ooh, you're measuring sea depths with that piece of string too.  How advanced.  

morty


Dextrous63


morty

I always think big ....  :smiley:

I read something else about this licence replacement.

Another suggestion been considered is that if the TV licence is kept as it is, payable to the Beeb ............. there should also be a £2.30 levy as well ontop of internet fees to cover any shortfall.