BBC Licence Fee to Be Replaced By Internet Surcharge

Started by morty, Yesterday at 04:50:17 PM

« previous - next »

morty

Anyone else read this?
Or is it fake?

It's the brainchild of one of those cross-party think tanks.
The idea is the TV livence is axed and replaced by an £11 a month surcharge which you'll pay to your Internet Service Provider. No cop out. You have to pay up.

Damn cheeky ..  okay it'll be £132 a year, which is less .... but in principle it's still wrong. 
And on the same week we read that the Beeb might be axing more channels and radio stations due to hardship. 

I still pay my licence though I rarely, if ever watch the BBC. I know braver people don't but I'm chicken.

Article

Raven

Not heard anything like this, not everyone has internet anyway. Also lots of pensioners get the free TV licence as they're on pension credit.
I think it would have been on the News if anything was in it.

Scrumpy

I still pay a tv license.. I might be thick but I can't be arsed with any hassle.. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

morty

You and me both then ...

Raven .. I was a bit dubious myself as it was in the Daily Express and the Sun and neither of them inspires much trust does it
But it was on GB news too.

Raven

Hmmmm, I will be paying close attention to the News tonight.

JBR

Yes, I heard mention of this.  Marge pays the TV licence, and she seems to like some of the films which, I must admit, are quite good.
What I don't understand is how can they demand this money from our using the Internet?  Can they do this even if we don't have a television?  If so, then it is nothing more than a compulsory charge for everyone, regardless of what they watch, simply to keep the BBC financed.
If so, then I hope that even more people will vote for Reform in the next national elections, because they have no specific support of the BBC and will, I am sure, get rid of that probably illegal idea.
Numquam credere Gallicum

GrannyMac

Quote from: Scrumpy on Yesterday at 05:27:52 PMI still pay a tv license.. I might be thick but I can't be arsed with any hassle..
Me too. 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖


klondike

I dumped my tv licence several years ago. I don't watch any live TV and if they come up with any scheme which forces me to pay for a service I never use. I should be most displeased, not that I'll be able to do anything about it.

Ashy

I think at this stage the government is "considering" it. They put it out as a  news item and see if anyone likes it. I call that flagpoling because they run it up a flagpole and see who salutes.

I think it's a poor idea from the school of what can we tax next. Far better to make the BBC self funding like ALL the other broadcast channels, or make it subscription like Netflix and Sky.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on Yesterday at 11:44:44 PMI dumped my tv licence several years ago. I don't watch any live TV and if they come up with any scheme which forces me to pay for a service I never use. I should be most displeased, not that I'll be able to do anything about it.
Do as many others do.  Put your money in foreign (but trustworthy) organisations where the government can't get their hands on it.  Withdraw only the minimum you need here and the amount will probably fall below any taxation level.
Numquam credere Gallicum


klondike

There correct way to address this would be for the BBC to be self funded by advertising, subscription, per view fees for its stuff on youtube and sales of its produced material to other entertainment businesses (good luck on the last two). They could then be paid per broadcast to show government propaganda and public service broadcasting. That would produce the most equitable method so we can be sure that our government will decide on some other option.


Raven

There's also the over 70s pensioners who get a free TV Licence because they're on Pension Credits. They're going to kick up a stink, and who can blame them.