Nottingham

Started by muddy, September 18, 2026, 05:01:53 PM

« previous - next »

muddy

Spending a few days in Nottingham .

Just passed through a district called Hyson Green
Hyson Green has the largest ethnic minority population in the city.
It is also one if not the most disadvantaged area of the city .
It's run down scruffy and dirty .
It could be anywhere in the world ,well anywhere in the world as long as it's Bangladesh or thereabouts

I expect there are parts of every city that are like this now .
It's just that coming from a very rural area it's quite sobering .
Truly the demography of this country has changed forever  .

Alex

Last time I was in Nottingham was about 30 years ago, so I imagine it's changed drastically.

Scrumpy

I have never been to Nottingham..
I should imagine that most places where older people grew up would be a disappointment to them now..
Sad times..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

muddy

I was born in Lancashire and remembered the blackened buildings and was surprised to see them so red when I went back some years ago ( they been sandblasted I suppose.) my parents moved down south to leafy Surrey a place i left at 20 and have never been back 

ansu

Some time ago I saw a documentary - I think you call it - about Northern England and its jobless population - it was frustrating. 

klondike

Unlike Germany we went over to a service economy. That means mostly two types of jobs remain - high skilled and low skilled with far fewer artisan types such as toolmakers needed as those skill requirements have been exported.

Now the highly skilled jobs are at risk from AI which can make a better job of stock trading and the like than people. AI is quicker at producing computer code (it is even cheaper and faster at producing crap that runs without obvious error but doesn't produce the required results - this does impact on outsourcing to India as that is exactly what they have been doing for decades for the government and others). Eventually I expect that AI will get better and more skilled jobs will fall.

Many unskilled jobs such as burger flipping, car washing, food delivery, drug dealing, etc. cannot economically be replaced by AI but they can be replaced by cheap immigrants (legal and illegal) who undercut the natives to the degree they can have an easier life on benefits and increasing numbers do just that, They do seem to have the required shills to convince those responsible for checking that their mental issues make them entirely incapable of work.

I assume we will eventually outsource killing foreigners to North Korea as Russia is currently starting to do. Either that or just give up on the idea and let them kill all of us instead which on balance seems the more likely outcome.

It will all come crashing down and I have no idea what sort of society will remain. Hopefully that won't happen until past the point I can possibly care having either succumbed to illness, gone completely gaga or been buried under a mountain of tape measures from another dimension (see my recent discoveries of this alarming possibility in the boring  thread).

Scrumpy


I have lived abroad .. travelled far.. But I always come back to Surrey where I grew up..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Alex

Same here Scrumps, I spent 10 years abroad but always knew I'd come home one day.  I used to choke up when I saw the cliffs at Dover, I don't think I'd feel that way now.

Dextrous63

Quote from: Scrumpy on September 20, 2026, 11:38:28 AMI have lived abroad .. travelled far.. But I always come back to Surrey where I grew up..
A weekend in Prestatyn doesn't really count as living abroad.  😬

crabbyob

sadly in the late fifties early sixties we opened the door to get some cheap labour...lol... not realising that their children might be educated English [see the England football team] yes they were a success but they never quite got the door closed...lol... i have visited Nottingham often being an ex angler [and a flying picket...lol] but before all that i had heard about the Nottingham Ladies who worked in the mills, it was rumored that there were two ladies for every man...lol.. so we went there to check out the work situation...mmm.. i had a wee debate on the steps of the labour exchange with a WestIndian who was blasting everyone with his Rastus speak... i asked if he was swearing at me and his English became impecable explaining he was swearing at the seurity guard on the door who wouldnt let him enter... it was a lovely city with a lot of very nice girls but also a lot of coloured chaps, attracted no doubt by the ladies... at that time there was only two or three in Doncaster they didnt see any attraction in coal mining [so no fools] but the city itself was very nice wide pavements miles of smiles, but the coloured guys gave it a bit of an undertone so we didnt bother, but it was a very clean place at a time when you couldnt hang a white shirt on a washing line in Doncaster without getting black speckles...

Alex

I think when posh little tourist cities like Chester are playing spot the white man, things are getting bad.
'Spot the white man' is an exaggeration, but there seem to be so many black and Asian people in that city now compared to even 5 years ago.