EV Driving Test.

Started by Raven, September 25, 2024, 10:19:51 AM

« previous - next »

Alex

I think they were right to refuse the licence.  Perhaps it would be fairer if everyone took their test in a manual car provided by the driving test centre ? More expensive of course, but you need to know how to actually drive and not rely on 'self driving' features.

Raven

Quote from: Alex on September 25, 2024, 10:36:36 AMI think they were right to refuse the licence.  Perhaps it would be fairer if everyone took their test in a manual car provided by the driving test centre ? More expensive of course, but you need to know how to actually drive and not rely on 'self driving' features.

Yep I totally agree with you. I always thought sitting the test in an automatic was a bit daft, BUT..... :wink:

Scrumpy

I agree with the result.. She doesn't know how to drive a motor.. she just knows how to turn the steering wheel..
I learned to drive in a manual and passed after a couple of times.. I now drive an automatic..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Raven

Quote from: Scrumpy on September 25, 2024, 01:24:55 PMI agree with the result.. She doesn't know how to drive a motor.. she just knows how to turn the steering wheel..
I learned to drive in a manual and passed after a couple of times.. I now drive an automatic..

As it should be, learn properly then chose your motor, be it manual or automatic. Personally I've only had the one automatic a VW Passat estate, had a massive tailgate, 3 Old English Sheepdogs fitted in there no problem. Loved that car had it for 12 years before it started costing too much, been on the manuals ever since, mostly land-rovers.

klondike

There's a lot more to an EV than just being automatic transmission. More to Teslas than a lot of other EVs too. They all have a fair degree of "driver assist" but a Tesla can pretty much drive itself.

The fault here lies in them not specifying just what vehicles are acceptable for the test. I'm guessing that as most yanks drive autos it never occurred to them to make any split. We do have auto only licences but I'm betting we haven't made any rulings about EVs.

I saw a video on YouTube that was suggesting the reason EVs are involved in more accidents proportionally than ICE cars (Unsure if that is US only or not. Probably not) was the difference in driving technique needed plus the fierce acceleration and over reliance on the autonomous driving features which are still way short of perfect.

JBR

Quote from: Raven on September 25, 2024, 10:19:51 AMRefused licence after sitting test that she thought she'd passed. :hmm: Fair or Unfair? Your thoughts?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13884477/teenager-denied-license-Tesla.html?fbclid=IwY2xjawFgsvJleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHVT2fOiXVpHzsiQ0QWbLUXVzCmqT3295bh9MijQjEy73iLu7Ha47Hpe-1Q_aem_RrlxJzOprgOgHgIQV1jOfg
But that's in America!
Everyone drives in America, with or without a licence.
And, as everyone knows, EVs drive themselves... 
well, for a few miles until their batteries run flat, then they have to go on a charger for several days.
No, I'd never have one of THEM!
And they only last for a couple of years and then you have to pay for a new battery costing almost as much as the car itself.
Numquam credere Gallicum

GrannyMac

Son in law has a Taycan. Black. Very sleek and silent. I feel I should dress up when he gives me a lift.  👑 Very different from our 15 year old Honda! ☺️
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Cassandra

Quote from: JBR on September 25, 2024, 05:20:03 PMBut that's in America!
Everyone drives in America, with or without a licence.
And, as everyone knows, EVs drive themselves...
well, for a few miles until their batteries run flat, then they have to go on a charger for several days.
No, I'd never have one of THEM!
And they only last for a couple of years and then you have to pay for a new battery costing almost as much as the car itself.

Over here some States permit 14 year olds to drive on a 'learners permit' the age to drive after the test is 16 years.

The wretched EV is struggling big time over here. The back up technology like everywhere else just isn't present and folk don't fancy running out of battery in the Desert at 134c. Air conditioning really drains these contraptions, as do heaters, wipers, radios or anything electric. Whats happening here is that because of the pit of uncertainties surrounding EV's, their future 'salvage' values are impossible to predict. Accordingly 'fleet' buyers, who have been co-erced thus far into purchases are reticent to invest more, now the phenomenal 'fairy-tale' subsidies have dried up.

Milliband and his garbage wouldn't last a few days out here. Americans love their cars and the 'freedom' they bring. who'd want to pay an arm and a leg for a contraption with about the comparative fuel consumption of 3 to the gallon, and no 'cans' to get you home! The Pirates are charging a min call out fee of $50 - $200 and $20 a mile to either recover an EV or recharge a battery by the roadside. Gauleiter Milliband and Herr Starmer however persist with increased threats to try an scare motorists into changing, otherwise you'll get turned into sausages. Then in the wings there's more crap with 'Heat - pumps'. Ideology along the road to pragmatic ruin!

September 25, 2024, 07:39:20 PM
Quote from: GrannyMac on September 25, 2024, 07:24:03 PMSon in law has a Taycan. Black. Very sleek and silent. I feel I should dress up when he gives me a lift.  👑 Very different from our 15 year old Honda! ☺️

He must be a train driver :wink:
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Ashy

There's also the question of two-pedal mode and single-pedal mode. I'm surprised that our C&U regulations allow single pedal mode.

JBR

Quote from: Cassandra on September 25, 2024, 07:35:14 PMGauleiter Milliband and Herr Starmer however persist with increased threats to try an scare motorists into changing, otherwise you'll get turned into sausages.

Ah! So you heard about his little slip then!
It's been all over the press here.  🤣🤣🤣
Numquam credere Gallicum

klondike

There's another issue with EVs apart from not enough chargers, way too expensive public chargers if you find one, charger leads being stolen for scrap, mileage worries, incredible depreciation, unreliability, freeby tax etc. coming to an end and high insurance costs and that is there is a shortage of mechanics trained to work on them (those 800v battery packs don't go well with health and safety for the untrained). Apart from that they are probably ok other than not being very environmentally friendly with all the fossil fuels used in their construction and used to produce the electricity they run on and large amounts of mining required for the various elements needed in their construction.

My son has just replaced his EV with a hybrid. He is hoping to be able to get rid of his diesel and make do with one car again. He still saved a fortune with it for his daily commute though.

Cassandra

Quote from: JBR on September 25, 2024, 08:34:05 PMAh! So you heard about his little slip then!
It's been all over the press here.  🤣🤣🤣

Americans are not very interested in British Politics and wondered what all the fuss was about, until they were told, like I have many (with glee) that this 'duffer' is our PM (top man). They were genuinely shocked, thinking he was just a lowly politico on the local council!
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

klondike

He looks and sounds like a supervisor in HR.

JBR

Quote from: Cassandra on September 25, 2024, 09:10:39 PMAmericans are not very interested in British Politics and wondered what all the fuss was about, until they were told, like I have many (with glee) that this 'duffer' is our PM (top man). They were genuinely shocked, thinking he was just a lowly politico on the local council!
I think the latter is probably his natural level of achievement.
The only reason he and his party became the next government was simply that so many people didn't even bother to vote last time.
I should be very surprised if he isn't replaced with someone else, equally as wet, before too long.
Numquam credere Gallicum