Starmer's New Nick-Name

Started by Diasi, September 19, 2024, 11:57:55 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

Just heard Starmer referred to as

Two tier, free gear, no beer Starmer.

Cassandra

Quote from: JBR on Yesterday at 11:15:01 AMBrilliant!
I wish I had thought of that.  I can imagine the 'musical' effect if only the occasional hammer was so treated.
How did they know that you were the culprit?  Presumably, you were 'witnessed'.

The headmaster's brother used to be the pianist and was almost deaf without his antique hearing aid, which I'd 'arranged' to be inoperative. As soon as he'd struck a few chords the entire assembly burst out laughing. The headmaster rose and holding his cloak, like a barrister addressing the jury, just called my name and told me to go and wait outside his study!

'Boys we will sing without Mr Leslie's usual accompaniment' he followed on.

Guilty 'Cui Bono' and six of the best were administered by the head boy. But it was sure worth it!

My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

JBR

Quote from: Cassandra on Yesterday at 04:12:45 PMThe headmaster's brother used to be the pianist and was almost deaf without his antique hearing aid, which I'd 'arranged' to be inoperative. As soon as he'd struck a few chords the entire assembly burst out laughing. The headmaster rose and holding his cloak, like a barrister addressing the jury, just called my name and told me to go and wait outside his study!

'Boys we will sing without Mr Leslie's usual accompaniment
🤣🤣🤣

I wish I had been there.  Better still, I wish I had done that wen ah wer a lad!
Numquam credere Gallicum

Cassandra

Years on I met the brothers at an 'old boy's dinner'. I thoroughly like the pianist, he was the Arts master and took cricket. He told me he still laughed every time he recalled it. Said that disconnecting the speaker, which he clipped on his waistcoat, from the earpiece was 'ingeniously simple'. I appeared in two school plays for him, one called 'The White Sheep of the Family' and was a 1951 British comedy play by Lawrence du Garde Peach and Ian Hay. A criminal family became distressed when their son wants to go straight! It premiered at the Royal Court Theatre in Liverpool before transferring to London's West End. I played the father and was never off the stage for three Acts. He asked me if I'd ever met a family like them, which I admitted too. I had him in fits of laughter, describing the impossible positions I had to overcome to at one time prevent all six of them (three generations) being 'away' at the same time! He never doubted me, which was very kind, despite his brother (a methodist lay preacher) believing I was the third anti-christ!
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

dextrous63

It's a good reminiscence.  Professional teacher dealing with professional pupils.  Nothing personal, just business.👍