U-turn.. ?

Started by Scrumpy, September 09, 2024, 10:05:28 AM

« previous - next »

JBR

Quote from: Diasi on September 10, 2024, 06:43:51 PMWe can but hope.

The pollsters should do some predicting for 2029.
Or earlier, perhaps!
Numquam credere Gallicum

muddy

Then God forbid we may get someone worse , David Lammy comes to mind.

klondike

Rayner will probably be next up.

Scrumpy

As I have said before .. I know little of politics..

The vote to stop WFA went through and it was passed..
BUT.. Many (cowards) abstained..  Does that mean they didn't turn up.. ?
How disgraceful ..  They should be forced to vote .. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

Some were absent with permission. There was never any doubt that it would pass.

Alex

53 abstained so would Starmer have suspended all 53 of them  ?  :waiting:

Diasi

Quote from: JBR on September 10, 2024, 07:13:01 PMOr earlier, perhaps!
:grin: :upvote: Yes, two polls, who'll win the next General Election & when will it be.

One thing's for sure, I'll never forgive the Tories for squandering 2019.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

Quote from: Alex on September 11, 2024, 11:37:17 AM53 abstained so would Starmer have suspended all 53 of them  ?  :waiting:
From something I read earlier 1 voted against and there were only 12 unauthorised absences. Pretty disgraceful imo.

Alex

If only 348 voted in favour, what happened to the votes of the other 50 odd Labour MPs  ?

Cassandra

Most abstauned to vote, because they were scared of the big, bad Starner. Some belatedly discovered their heads and other bodily parts had fallen off so they had to attend doctors etc.

Gutless as an action springs to mind. They can now go back to 'Much shafting in the Marsh' and say quite accurately 'I never voted for it'.

Destiny is the invention of the cowardly and the resigned.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Scrumpy

Exactly... Cowards.. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Raven

If it's a vote then why can't they vote how they want? I don't think it's right anyone is told they must vote a certain way. :nooo:

Cassandra

Quote from: Raven on September 11, 2024, 06:10:36 PMIf it's a vote then why can't they vote how they want? I don't think it's right anyone is told they must vote a certain way. :nooo:

Enoch Powell once said about the House of Commons 'Whips' (Vote enforcers, by any means).

"Like sewers, revolting but necessary for civilisation."

I too agree about individaul MPs being emancipated in thought and action but to quote 'Rousseau'

"Man is born free, but is everywhere in chains"

Seemingly is the rule throughout our great 'Democracy'!
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

JBR

Quote from: Raven on September 11, 2024, 06:10:36 PMIf it's a vote then why can't they vote how they want? I don't think it's right anyone is told they must vote a certain way. :nooo:
I agree.
If a strong (but unavoidably stupid) PM can effectively order his MPs to vote in the way he alone wishes, surely that could be seen as approaching a dictatorship.
Bearing in mind what a tool our new PM is, that could lead to untold damage to the country.

Fortunately, with all the incredibly unpopular bright ideas he has been putting in place recently, it is to be hoped that we might have another general election before too much longer.  Hopefully, people will use their brains next time.
Numquam credere Gallicum

klondike

Maybe you are assuming that there are a significant number of Labour MPs even marginally less dumb.

All of their actions so far will be making our economy worse. When they've finished buggering things up the odds are that our stupid electorate will give the useless Conservative party another bite of the cherry.