Farmers must be getting desperate

Started by Michael Rolls, August 27, 2024, 07:13:34 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

Yesterday was just the fourth rain free day this month - and today it is raining quite heavily again
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Alex

We've had a reasonably rain free weekend, high winds have been the problem here.  Possibly food prices will rise again ,  with the weather to blame

klondike

Sounds like all the haggis will have been washed from their burrows I fear.

Scrumpy

Farmers usually find something to moan about.. and vets are bloody greedy..
Just thought I'd throw that in..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

muddy

I live in the Cotswolds .
Don't know any poor farmers.

Scrumpy

Quote from: muddy on August 27, 2024, 07:09:47 PMI live in the Cotswolds .

What a beautiful part of the country you live..

If farming was so hard and they are struggling why would so many celebrities rush to buy a farm.. It seems to be the 'thing' at the moment..

dextrous63

Eh?  Which celebrities?
Just had a quick google and found some.

I think the main point is that they don't have to rely on it to create a sufficient source of income to live on, whereas proper full time farmers do.

Raven

Quote from: dextrous63 on August 28, 2024, 09:39:50 AMEh?  Which celebrities?

I think the main point is that they don't have to rely on it to create a sufficient source of income to live on, whereas proper full time farmers do.

Exactly. As I well know, Dunc works part-time for the Council in the winter months, clearing the roads of snow n ice with the tractor.

Scrumpy

Quote from: Raven on August 28, 2024, 10:30:35 AMExactly. As I well know, Dunc works part-time for the Council in the winter months, clearing the roads of snow n ice with the tractor.

I am sure with your extreme weather farming can be very hard going..

Mups

Quote from: dextrous63 on August 28, 2024, 09:39:50 AMEh?  Which celebrities?

Probably very true.  
Perhaps helps the Celeb's income tax, too.

Michael Rolls

no idea of the details but I have long believed that celebs buy farms to show losses, thus reducing their tax bill
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

muddy

Or maybe they just want to live in the country in a lovely house .
It's a common dream.
When the Beatles made it big they didn't buy modern homes but beautiful old houses in the country .

dextrous63

Good luck to them, especially if they can inject some resources into the farms and employ people to keep them viable ventures.

Cassandra

Quote from: muddy on August 27, 2024, 07:09:47 PMI live in the Cotswolds .

Perhaps the last bastion of grace in England left somewhat untouched by modern society's ruination.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

ansu

With the climate change German farmers have a hard life and many are building up a second mainstay - I think you call it. Moreover there's a lot of competition. In one of our supermarkets I noticed that lately local products have a special sign. 
As to rich people buying farms or fincas in Spain and elsewhere - investing money in a lovely place - if you have more than enough money - is a not really a bad idea. My mother always said it's worth investing money in land - even in case of a war or a "black friday" it belongs to you.